• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Hi, from North Carolina US

Hey, everybody. I'm a long time planted tank keeper in the 'States. Got my first aquarium for my 8th birthday and have had at least a few tanks since (my 50th birthday is in 2 days). Opened a LFS for 6 years, but got out of fish 6 years ago and now only sell dry goods. Currently own 9 planted aquariums ranging from 5.5 to 125 US gallons. Came to this forum because most of the sites in the US are pretty much geared towards beginners and I've learned a lot browsing the forums here. What I'd give if plants and nice aquascapes were part of most hobbyist's wheelhouse here like it seems to be across the pond. Probably won't be a very active poster, but I enjoy reading the forums and will offer any advice that I feel I can help with.

Hi chuck and welcome would be nice to see some of your tanks
10 gallon Dennerle Shrimp King tank with Cardinas:
IMG_1886.JPG

125 with Neos and chili rasboras:
IMG_1909.JPG

60 gallon cube with grow out long finned white clouds at time of photo:
IMG_1194.JPG

I've got a few more, but these were recent pics I had on this laptop.

Welcome@Ukaps!
Indeed the american way of fishkeeping strikes me as very different from the way here in the old world.

I tend to think I'm a bit of an outlier. From owning a fish store here for 6 years, if my shop's customer base was any indication I'd wager that majority of US aquarium keepers don't even keep plants at all in their freshwater tanks. I tend to heavily plant mine and then leave them alone for a couple of years. The species that do better in the tank take over for a while, then I can rip it apart, prune and thin, and everything bounces back well. The bottom tank there is overdue for that. I've been holding out for some Amazon puffers for that tank; there's nothing but snails and shrimp in it currently.

Took some photos of the home tanks last night.
Dennerle 10 gallon:
IMG_1910.JPG

5.5 gallon blue neo grow out tank:
IMG_1919.JPG

60 gallon Hagen Osaka:
IMG_1916.JPG

60 gallon Osaka #2:
IMG_1912.JPG

Even though all are cell phone pics, just thought these came out a little better.

I'm glad you've joined chuck. Many of the plants I crave are only available in the USA, but you're right, there is a massive aquascaping culture over here.

Back