• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Hi from South London

hotweldfire

Hi,

Am in London se11. Have had a tank for about 8 years, only started taking it seriously about 2 years ago when I started aquascaping and breeding shrimp.

Tank is Fluval Roma 125l. Filtration is a sera external with uv light, heater is the Fluval 150w that came with the tank, lighting is 2x25w t8s that came with tank plus a pair of arcadia t5s I've glued to the hood. Co2 is d-d disposable canister set. Also have an airstone running 24/7. Substrate is a mix of various gravel, red river sand, Ada amazonia on top.

Fauna:
About 20 boraras brigittae and a couple of phoenix
1 lonely sudandanio axelrodi (survivor of original 6, struggling to find replacements anywhere)
10 pygmy cories
3 oto affinis
1 zebra oto
Less than 10 crystal red shrimp (about A grade)
Loads of cherries (most getting up to around fire red now along with some sakura)
Handful of assassin snails

Flora:
Cyperus helferi
Valis nana
Narrow leaf java fern
Anubias nana petite
Dwarf hairgrass
Pogestemon helferi (getting eaten by shrimp)
HC (struggling)
Pellia (sub-w)
Weeping moss
Taiwan moss
Peacock moss
Common moss
Us fissidens

I usually sell shrimp and moss cuttings to local LFS but in a few months may be up for swap/sale here if done locally (for shrimp at least).

Corki said:
Hi hwf and welcome to the forum. There’s a few lads on here that frequent your neck of the woods and belong to a London fish keeping club, but I’m sure they will introduce themselves :thumbup:

ta da! lol.

Hi and welcome :wave:

The only thing that jumped out at me about your introduction was that you run an airstone 24/7.....you could be wasting CO2

Please post some pictures....we all love seeing pictures :)

a1Matt said:
Corki said:
Hi hwf and welcome to the forum. There’s a few lads on here that frequent your neck of the woods and belong to a London fish keeping club, but I’m sure they will introduce themselves :thumbup:

ta da! lol.

LOL. I'm actually a (new) member of said club and was directed here from there.

greenjar said:
Hi and welcome :wave:

The only thing that jumped out at me about your introduction was that you run an airstone 24/7.....you could be wasting CO2

Please post some pictures....we all love seeing pictures :)

Yeah, I've actually just put it on a timer to only run at night. My problem is because of a combination of an awkward tank hood and the hosing/fittings that came with my external filter the filter outlet is very low in the water - about a third of the way down. As a result there's basically no movement on the water surface and I'm concerned about lack of oxygen in the tank.

In addition the overall flow is pretty weak. Was OK until I put a sponge on the intake but now very sluggish and poor movement of CO2 (and I assume nutrients) around the tank. Better that though than all the shrimp and chilis that were ending up in the filter. Am considering replacing the airstone with a koralia but need to figure out a way of it not chewing up my shrimp.

Actually I've got a whole pile of other problems so may create a few posts in relevant sub-forums.

Will post some pics soon but they will be poor. Can't figure out aquarium photography.

Welcome!I'm in SW London as well, btw, where do you find the best place to be to buy shrimp? I'm setting up a dedicated shrimp tank myself shortly.

I've ended up buying mine mostly online. ADC in Great Portland Street have some decent shrimp in and occasionally some interesting ones but not cheap. Have also bought from Living Waters in Croydon and Wholesale Tropicals in Bethnal Green.

Back