• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Hi Tech Tank Holiday Care

peter50blue

Seedling
I'm just wondering what the best practice is for maintaining a high tech planted tank when on holiday?

For a one week holiday I usually leave my Co2 and lighting as is and dose one weeks worth of Tropica Ferts (normally daily) I don't feed the fish as I know they will be fine.

I have read people turn off C02 and reduce lighting for longer periods.
What is the norm for longer periods say two weeks or more?

Thanks in advance Peter

I have read people turn off C02 and reduce lighting for longer periods.
What is the norm for longer periods say two weeks or more?

Reduce photperiod and CO2 period to match with reduced ferts. Dont want pants adjusting to No CO2 as they will not cope with the light on return. CO2 on time same as before, before lights come on, just shorter photoperiod.
Have done it with reduced intensity - plants go leggy plus bigger pH drop so higher [CO2] have loss critters with that one but I do have a high [CO2] as std. But that was a three week Hol.

If your normal photoperiod is 6 hours just reduce it to 3 or 4 , with CO2 off time change OFC. As for ferts tricky if no auto doser I would dose two weeks worth after all its only EI x2. Big WC before you go or two, same on return. Well thats what I will be doing for a two week Hol next. plants will be fine IMO

Fortunately I have an army of friends who come and help out my mum (who does the majority). They take instructions well and relay things back.

I still throttle back the light intensity by half and the CO2 by about 20% while maintaining nutrient levels as normal. I also set up a webcam on the tank which I can access at any time.

I just reduce photoperiod to half - don't adjust Co2 injection rate just the hours to match light cycle of course. I usually have someone check on the tank once a week to top up with RODI water as well - will be important if you are away for a longer period of time.

Back