• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Hi

Maf 2500

Hi everybody, pleased to finally join. I have been using the forum as a reference source and learning resource for quite a while now, and appreciate all the fine information and beautiful aquariums displayed here.

I have always been interested in fish and aquatic environments and have built several ponds over the years with an emphasis on the planting, not just for fish. I probably first became aware of "nature aquariums", in the modern context of planted tanks, about 3 or 4 years ago and saw something that appealed to me much more than the previously typical sparsely (or non-) planted fish tanks with the emphasis firmly on fish! I visited the giant Amano planted aquarium in Lisbon for inspiration in 2018 and was blown away by the environment created there.

I was originally going to set up a tank in 2018 but delayed due to various reasons although I purchased much of the equipment, (filter, heater, substrate, hardscape etc) which I am finally going to put into use this year. I have a 90 x 50 x 50 cm optiwhite aquarium on order and cannot wait to get started once it arrives (probably in March). The plan is for low-medium difficulty plants, shrimp, small South American fish, wood for hardscape and inert sand/gravel over Tropica substrate. The only question still to be resolved is whether to keep it low tech or add medium levels of CO2 and go for a kind of hybrid tech approach. My aim is for a long term stable aquarium with an equal emphasis on fauna and flora. Not interested in growing something that will have to be torn down in 6 months or a year, or dosing EI and high CO2 for super fast growth.

Thanks to everyone here for sharing their knowledge, I hope to be able to contribute in future and may even create a journal or gallery post once I get building.

Hi @Maf 2500

Welcome to UKAPS!

The only question still to be resolved is whether to keep it low tech or add medium levels of CO2 and go for a kind of hybrid tech approach.

Since you have been using this forum as a reference for some time, you will be aware that algae often afflicts new tank setups. It seems to be the biggest problem faced by many starting out on keeping an aquarium. So, I would advise reading up on this. In my opinion, one area to home in on is - lighting. LED lighting is capable of putting out a lot of light. So, if you opt for this form of lighting, I strongly suggest that you ensure it is dimmable. You can take advantage of injected CO2 aiming for around 15 - 20 ppm. If I remember rightly, the latest JBL drop checker now uses 20 ppm as the optimum CO2 dosage.

JPC

Thanks for the welcome.

Yes, definitely going for a dimmable LED light. Also, programmable - gotta love those slow ramp up and downs in the morning and evening.

Welcome,

Im sure I speak for many when i say that we def need a journal of your build, and plenty pictures on the way. Looking at other peoples tanks is the bit I love the most about this forum.

Back