• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

hiding equipment idea, any comments

fourmations

hi all

im doing the scape below and was thinking i could stash a lot of equipment
behind the wood,

could i create a screen and leave the area behind the roots as a void
with my inlet and outlet and my co2 diffuser there as well under the outlet,
the gaps in the roots will be filled in with planting and seriya stones
i could fix a mesh to the back of the roots for the moss i propose to use between the roots
thus creating the void im talking about

i cannot move my filter pipes from that area, they are fed behind my plaster wall
i could move my outlet to the front area though with a bit of piping
as it stands my outlet will sit behind the root and will work well with a duckbill,
im thinking the void area may work well for the filter
as the inlet will have a bit of room and be low in the water
perhaps making mehanical filtration more effective?

any thoughts, many thanks
20161204_212159_zpsx7c8dlcn.jpg

20161204_212159_zpsx7c8dlcn.jpg

Last edited:
Hi, I would worry a screen may obstruct flow perhaps? I've used echinodorus bleheri successfully to hide hardware. Excuse the photography...
20160821_234845.jpg
20161001_210353.jpg

The eheim inlet is well hidden after the plant has grown in, in the second photo!

hi

this is going to be a heavily planted, built up substrate type
full carpet and the areas between the roots planted out,
(see attached for the inspiration)

in this type of scape the filtration and co2 diffuser is usually at the front of the tank id imagine
im thinking i could hide all those pipes and gizmos behind those roots
while creating a nice space for the filter to work
i can direct my koralia back to that area thus encouraging detritus into that area for the filter to pick up and
also bashing the co2 bubbles around that are already getting distributed by outlet over the diffuser (in theory)

the tank is 90cm x 30 deep x 38 high, the filter outlet and inlet are in the back right
the outlet points at the front left, just the tube or a duckbill, its an 850lph external filter

cheers
8a97779911fd632522b1fd012712ab80.jpg

Attachments

• destiny cliff hui.jpg
    destiny cliff hui.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 105
A corner matten filter is ideal to hide things away.. No pipes, you can put the heating in it.. Depending on the pump used it even is constructionaly possible to place an inline co2 diffuser. :)

Or use the matten filter principle but do not use it as a filter but as a plant base material.. Like this
You can hide your cannister filter inlet behind it and put the heater in..
Naamloos.jpg

You could take 10 mm coarse filter sponge as basematerial and fasten a sheat of epiweb or epaqmat to it and grow mosses and java ferns to it. Personaly i would take Epaqmat..

That's actualy mattenfilter principle but only used ase hiding barier instead of a filter, since as you leave to bottom open that is where most of the water will flow through into the filter inlet pipe, so the sponge doesn't realy function as a filter.. The water still gets heated and dispersed by the filter.. :)

Than you see no pipes no heater only a corner filled with plants.. :thumbup:

great stuff marcel,

thats the sort of thing im thinking about, food for thought there
thanks a million

Back