Hiding Juwel filter-box

Discussion in 'General Planted Tank Discussions' started by LeTigra, 24 Jan 2009.

1. LeTigra

LeTigra Member

Hi all
    I'm sure this has been asked before but the search gave me 139 pages of results! :lol:

I've got a Rio 300 and I've tried many ways of disguising the big black filter box in the back right corner.... well, ok, the right side - its that big, right? I can't afford to upgrade to an external although that is something I'll be looking into when I get about a hundred more payrises

At the moment I've got a few pieces of wood leant against it with H.difformis growing around and between the wood but this just isn't doing it for me. What I've found as well, is that any plant that sits in the flow from the filter outlet starts getting hair algae, long green strandy stuff that doesn't appear anywhere else in the tank

So I'm looking for ideas on how to hide the box. I figure putting a black background on the tank will "camouflage" it a bit, but its not going to hide it properly. Does anyone have any ideas? How do you hide yours? If you have pics I'd love to see them!

2. LondonDragon

LondonDragon Administrator Staff Member

Have a look at my Rio 125 Journal I still have the internal Juwel filter on the right hand side, on some photos you can't even notice it ;) hope that helps

3. Thomas McMillan

Thomas McMillan Member

Yeah, a black background will help a fair bit. You can pickup a nice one for a few quid at Aqua Essentials.

Just kind of put plants in front of it. Speaking from experience, I know it is quite intrusive but it can be done. As Paulo said, his journals are a perfect example.

4. Ed Seeley

Ed Seeley Member

A dark background and then plants in front is what 've done with mine. I don't really notice it that much to be honest.

5. LeTigra

LeTigra Member

Thanks all
    I figure its just a case of keep trying until I find something that works for me. Will pick up a black background when I next see one and will keep on going with the plants, see what hides it best.

LondonDragon - your tank is great. I think I got to page 25 or so on your journal and it looked fantastic

6. Superman

Superman Member

The black background works, although I found that when I had my internal in, it was a pain to keep flow good. Might be a good idea to invest in a powerhead - if you've not already got one!

7. LeTigra

LeTigra Member

Thanks Superman
    Been considering a powerhead. I've noticed I have "dead" areas of practically no flow. I've had this tank for 2 and a half years and I've only just noticed! It was a fish-only tank originally and now I've got plants I'm noticing more things I could improve about the tank to just make it that bit more efficient. Not that it wasn't great anyway, but just little things......