• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

High-flow filter options for >200l tanks (2021)

OK... loaded an app on the phone. Opened the cabinet doors, and held the phone at the door opening:

Both filters off: 59.4db
Just the fluval 307 on: 63db
Just the Oase 850 on: 69.8db

This mesure is not accurate, i know, because it depend on phone microphone sensibility.
Anyway my room is more silent than yours :p
I don't have an OASE 850 I was planning to buy it, my current filter is eheim 2275 (prof 4 600).
My room with no filter close to aquarium: 28db
With filter, open, cabinet, and phone at 15cm 34db
With filter, close cabinet, and phone at 15cm 33db.

someone more have this messures?

This mesure is not accurate, i know, because it depend on phone microphone sensibility.
I don't have an OASE 850 I was planning to buy it, my current filter is eheim 2275 (prof 4 600).

Fully aware it's not accurate reading, but you can see the difference between the two. Anyway... helped as much as I can here, so without going out to buy calibrated equipment....
You're welcome 👍

I imagine those measurements are miles off to be honest (dust in your microphone maybe) - it's very difficult to get ambient noise levels down below 30dB even in a sound proofed and acoustically treated listening room (I know, I've designed, built and measured several). Typical background noise (noise floor) in a fairly quiet suburban neighbourhood is around 45-50 dB, in a busier city pad it can be a fair bit higher.

For what it's worth (which is not a lot) you're both showing around the same 16% increase in noise with the filter on. With Steve's reading though, as the decibel scale is logarithmic, with room boundary gain, a 9+dB increase translates to approximately a doubling of in-room noise - which is a fair bit!

I imagine those measurements are miles off to be honest (dust in your microphone maybe) - it's very difficult to get ambient noise levels down below 30dB even in a sound proofed and acoustically treated listening room (I know, I've designed, built and measured several). Typical background noise (noise floor) in a fairly quiet suburban neighbourhood is around 45-50 dB, in a busier city pad it can be a fair bit higher.

For what it's worth (which is not a lot) you're both showing around the same 16% increase in noise with the filter on. With Steve's reading though, as the decibel scale is logarithmic, with room boundary gain, a 9+dB increase translates to approximately a doubling of in-room noise - which is a fair bit!
HI, I agree is not accurate, but maybe the increase of noise can be trustful.. maybe?
increase 9db it's a lot.

Back