• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

High nitrate tap water

Matth22

Looking for some advice around how best to dose my tank given a high reading for nitrates from the tap water. I’m aware people are going to say tests aren’t accurate, don’t worry about nitrate levels etc, but I’ve tried dosing the tank with an all in one fertiliser repeatedly and each time ended in an algae fest, whereas now I’m dosing P, K and micronutrients separately, I'm algae free and plants are looking healthy, so the question is really, what’s the best way to dose consistently without loads of different bottles?

Or am I just missing something completely? Happy to be a told this is the case!

Tank is 90L, moderately planted. Ammonia and nitrite are zero whereas nitrate measures about 25ppm out of the tap and 50ppm at the end of the week before a 50% water change using the same 25ppm tap water.

Pressurised co2 set up, in-line with a spray bar.

Stocking is on the higher end, with 10 cardinals, 8 gold laser cories, dwarf gourami, 3 dwarf neon rainbows and 3 nerites.

Part of me thinks I’ve cracked it here, but I’ve also drawn a blank trying to find anyone who’s reached the same conclusion!

Hi all,
whereas nitrate measures about 25ppm out of the tap
That is quite likely for much of southern and eastern England.
whereas nitrate measures about 25ppm out of the tap and 50ppm at the end of the week
Do you have any floating plants? Have a look at <"The scientific background to the "Leaf Colour Chart"">
Tank is 90L, moderately planted.
Can we have a photo?
I’m aware people are going to say tests aren’t accurate,
Your water company will be able to give you an accurate range of NO3 values, they have an analytical lab. etc.

cheers Darrel

Algae are a complex issue and nobody has got a simple answer, I'm afraid.
My thoughts based on some experience: Elevated nitrates, and perhaps all mineral nutrients, are NOT the cause of algae.

Thanks for the useful info.

I do have some Amazon frogbit but tend to keep it quite minimal as it snags up the stem plants if I let it go mad.

Note that it’s a recent re-scape (3 weeks) due to a chip right on the bottom corner of the tank, so replaced it and salvaged some healthy plants/planted some new.

While I think at times I may have underdone it on P, K and micronutrients, I’ve had next to no algae, which has plagued me when dosing ferts with N present.

Attachments

• 839AC340-4E5B-464A-A268-89729732FF0D.jpeg
    839AC340-4E5B-464A-A268-89729732FF0D.jpeg
    5.1 MB · Views: 116
Looking for some advice around how best to dose my tank given a high reading for nitrates from the tap water. I’m aware people are going to say tests aren’t accurate, don’t worry about nitrate levels etc, but I’ve tried dosing the tank with an all in one fertiliser repeatedly and each time ended in an algae fest, whereas now I’m dosing P, K and micronutrients separately, I'm algae free and plants are looking healthy, so the question is really, what’s the best way to dose consistently without loads of different bottles?

Or am I just missing something completely? Happy to be a told this is the case!

Tank is 90L, moderately planted. Ammonia and nitrite are zero whereas nitrate measures about 25ppm out of the tap and 50ppm at the end of the week before a 50% water change using the same 25ppm tap water.

Pressurised co2 set up, in-line with a spray bar.

Stocking is on the higher end, with 10 cardinals, 8 gold laser cories, dwarf gourami, 3 dwarf neon rainbows and 3 nerites.

Part of me thinks I’ve cracked it here, but I’ve also drawn a blank trying to find anyone who’s reached the same conclusion!

Well you can put your P&K into one bottle and all micros into another so two bottles is not so bad and is what many folks do if ur rolling ur own.

If your current regime is working for you, that’s a pretty good reason to stick with it. 😊

I no longer dose any N in my tank due to high Nitrate from tap. I didn’t particularly have algae issues but have just established over time that the tank doesn’t need any more than the tap is offering.

Well you can put your P&K into one bottle and all micros into another so two bottles is not so bad and is what many folks do if ur rolling ur own.

If your current regime is working for you, that’s a pretty good reason to stick with it. 😊

I no longer dose any N in my tank due to high Nitrate from tap. I didn’t particularly have algae issues but have just established over time that the tank doesn’t need any more than the tap is offering.
Ah, thanks for confirming there is a method to the madness!

Bit of research around dry ferts in order then.

Thanks!

Unfortunately overpopulated.
On what basis?

I acknowledge it’s quite heavily stocked, but the excess nitrate problem is with the tap water, not due to the nitrification process.

Well cycled filter and substrate, 50% weekly water change done religiously. Fish are all happy and healthy

A water report to confirm the nitrate level, if your plants are doing ok carry on with your fertiliser regime, try a extra water change say two a week. Agree floating plants and fast growing stems will help, Try a Peace Lily above if possible great nitrate devourers

I acknowledge it’s quite heavily stocked, but the excess nitrate problem is with the tap water, not due to the nitrification process.
I understand. Still, your tank is way too small for the fishes. Perhaps a pair of dwarf gouramis could live there happily, if densely planted.

On what basis?

Well cycled filter and substrate, 50% weekly water change done religiously. Fish are all happy and healthy

Its a tricky one, because you are probably not significantly overstocked in terms of fish biomass, but the problem is some of your fish choices grow fairly large for a 60cm tank which is what I think @_Maq_ is referring to. The Gourami can grow to 8-9cm, as can the Rainbows (which should really be kept in groups of 6-8 or more), the Cories are also a little larger than some going up to 7.5-8cm.

I think the Rainbows are possibly the biggest issue are they are an active and fast moving fish that prefer to be in a larger shoal than the tank can likely take. The Cories and Gourami are less active so should be fine with the cardinals. @GreggZ is a Rainbow expert so can probably advise better if a 60cm tank is suitable for a shoal Dwarf Neons.

Hi all,
Perfect, that is partially why I prefer <"watching the plants"> to adding a set amount of fertiliser on a regular basis.
I do have some Amazon frogbit but tend to keep it quite minimal as it snags up the stem plants if I let it go mad.
I probably would let it spread a bit, it is a great nitrogen sink as @PARAGUAY says, and <"this is the why">:
.......... After a bit of searching I found a floating plant that:
  1. Shows a linear response to nutrients,
  2. has a "leaf green" leaf,
  3. will grow in hard and soft water,
  4. persists in low nutrient situations,
  5. and that plant is my both my "Duckweed" and "Rice",
  6. <"Amazon Frogbit (Limnobium laevigatum)">.
This is what it looks like, if you <"feed it plenty">.

sigrjybcq-width-3264-height-2448-cropmode-none-jpg.jpg

I think the Rainbows are possibly the biggest issue are they are an active and fast moving fish that prefer to be in a larger shoal than the tank can likely take.
I might try and rehome them as well, or get a bigger tank.

If you want to keep all the fish it is possible, if not optimal. Have a look at <"Bio Media for Planted Tanks."> and the link into the <"Aquarium Science"> website.

cheers Darrel

Its a tricky one, because you are probably not significantly overstocked in terms of fish biomass, but the problem is some of your fish choices grow fairly large for a 60cm tank which is what I think @_Maq_ is referring to. The Gourami can grow to 8-9cm, as can the Rainbows (which should really be kept in groups of 6-8 or more), the Cories are also a little larger than some going up to 7.5-8cm.

I think the Rainbows are possibly the biggest issue are they are an active and fast moving fish that prefer to be in a larger shoal than the tank can likely take. The Cories and Gourami are less active so should be fine with the cardinals. @GreggZ is a Rainbow expert so can probably advise better if a 60cm tank is suitable for a shoal Dwarf Neons.
Ok that makes sense. I got the dwarf rainbows on advice from my local Maidenhead aquatics and generally they seem pretty knowledgeable in there, but I have read after bringing them home that they’re better off in a larger shoal.

To be fair they were aware I’m actually planning to set up another couple of tanks pending a house move, which should be before Christmas (fingers crossed)

One of the tanks I already own and am planning on housing angels as it’s 350L but on the taller side. maybe I’ll buy a 4ft tank for rainbows only and move the dwarf neons into there.

Appreciate the explanation

Back