• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

High output filter

Nick16

hi all, im after a nice powerful filter for my new 4 foot that will be arriving soon. I already have 1 EX1200 from my last set up.
Now, i was going to have another 1200 as well and have 2400LPH turnover (it will be a 400L tank), but i doubt i will have enough turnover. :?
i then had a look at the 2400 but have heard from individuals and have also been reading the review on here, that alot of people find it nosiy and not all its cracked up to be.
Now that leaves me with some choices.

1. Have 2 Ex1200's
2. Have 1x 1200 and 1 of something else (suggestions?) :?:
3. run three filters, say 2x 1200's and 1x 700 or 3x 1200's ---- whatever will be best. :lol:

with large tanks, does the 10x rule still apply or is it more flexible?
the FX5 looks powerful but its huge and look complicated, plus fluval externals are known to erm... not be the best shall we say....., also the ribbed pipework puts me off a bit.!

any suggestions will be super!

i did think of that, but then couldnt decide between have one of them, or having another filter? Near enough the same power usage as well. Its a very good shout though. cheers

Will two 1200's do the job well enough?

in large tanks it gets harder to disperse the flow evenly. imagine 300lph on a 30litre tank, thats easy, but blasting 4000lph across a 400l tank gets hard.

i would get 2 filters, so you have 1 intake either end for maximum efficiency in debris uptake, then get a koralia for extra flow needed, perhaps get 2 x K1's rather than one K2 so you have more points to disperse the flow.

alternatively run the FX5 with a spray bar across the back of the tank, it is a better option in large tanks.
I think fluvals are great, some hate them, same with eheims some love them some hate them - i hated the one i had ;)

you can use smooth piping, you just may need to use hose reducers thats all. George did this on an ADA style tank so he could use lily pipes.

does the fx5 come with a spray bar then? - is it like the TT's, where you can join multiple ones together?
i might have a look at one if they are ok.

wont reducing the size of the pipes reduce the flow loads? i think 17mm are the largest size of lily pipes, so it would have to go from 25mm - 17mm. :?

but i think 2x 1200's would do the job on the tank.

Nick16 said:
does the fx5 come with a spray bar then? - is it like the TT's, where you can join multiple ones together?
i might have a look at one if they are ok.

wont reducing the size of the pipes reduce the flow loads? i think 17mm are the largest size of lily pipes, so it would have to go from 25mm - 17mm. :?

but i think 2x 1200's would do the job on the tank.

no, it comes with standard out puts but you can buy spray bars. I think Clive just bought some pond hose and drilled a few holes in here and there.
H has posted some pictures up before but i cant find them, if he reads this he may repost them again ;)

George used something like a 305, so the pipe went from something like 17mm-13mm. on a 305 it would be pretty pointless for the reasons you point out.

Back