• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

High quality frozen food recommendations?

Emil.

Are there differences in grades of frozen foods that are available in the UK? Which brand would you recommend?

I have pygmy cories and ember tetras so I'm after small sized foods and small portions. They didn't eat cyclops and artemia that I tried before but they do like tiny blood worms.

I'd like to feed them variety and the best quality possible. Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

This time of year, you can buy a live food bag of blood worms and leave them in a jar on an outside windowsill and they'll survive for about two weeks.

I don't think there's much quality difference between live and frozen, but live foods do seem to bring about more natural habits.

There are different qualities
The live food has to have water added to it so it can be poured into the moulds, so usually the smaller the cube the more water it will contain

The best option is to buy the larger slabs 500g 1kg etc these have less water in them
You just break off what you need

I think that blister packs once opened smell and partners do not like this, if you break up a slab and put the pieces in sealed bags they will keep for ages plus it will help keep the smell contained

Live food is great have you tried live daphnia or hatching your own brine shrimp ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you @dean. I didn't know blister packs were more watery and I know exactly what you mean about the smell. My better half can tell I've been feeding frozen just by walking into the room an hour later. Luckily she loves me more than she hates the smell 😅. She doesn't even like the smell of flakes which I find rather nice. But my sense of smell is really bad in comparison to others.

Thank you, @castle. I'll definitely try live blood worms soon. (After lock-down 😔)

Hi all,
I have pygmy cories and ember tetras so I'm after small sized foods and small portions.
Live food is great
I'd definitely try one of <"Micro/Banana/Walter worms">. The cultures are very low maintenance, and <"the fish really like them">.
........... I've had the same Grindal and Micro-worms cultures for ~10 years. I keep the Micro-worms in the coleslaw pots you get from supermarkets etc. I feed them on rolled oats, and I sub-culture them every 6 weeks or so. My Micro-worms may be Banana worms, but in use it doesn't matter. They eat yeast, rather than the oats themselves, but when you buy them the worms bring the yeast with them. They are good for fry, and some adult fish are keen on them. They are a favourite food item for Threadfin Rainbows and Dwarf Corydoras.........

cheers Darrel

Back