• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

High-tech, High-cost, First Tank!

MVCXIV

Seedling
Well, like almost everyone else on UKAPS I got bitten hard by the aquascaping bug about 5 months ago. I had originally planned to focus on fishkeeping as a quarantine hobby, but while I was researching I quickly fell in love with the beauty and creativity of aquascaping.

I've been gradually researching and buying everything I need over the past 2 months (and my fiancée probably couldn't handle another package arriving :D)

Anyway, I finally started putting everything together this weekend and thought I would share. I kind of feel like the guy who just started golfing and shows up with the $3000 set of clubs, but I figured having quality parts will pay off in the long run!

I decided to keep it simple with a triangle style layout, so once everything fills in I plan to trim it so it slopes left to right. It's far from perfect and probably could have used more hardscape, but I'm proud that everything has gone according to plan so far (key word: so far!) Comments/suggestions welcome!

Aquarium
ADA 60P

Cabinet
Custom

Lighting
Chihiros WRGB 2

Filtration
Oase BioMaster Thermo 350
Seachem Matrix
Seachem Purigen
Filter Floss

Inflow-outflow
Glass Lily Pipes
16/22mm PVC tubing

Carbon
5lb Co2 tank
Co2 Art Pro-SE Series Co2 Dual Stage Regulator with Solenoid
Co2 Art Inline Atomizer
C02 tubing

Fertiliser
ADA Brighty K
ADA Green Brighty Mineral
Seachem Flourish Advance

Water
Tap Water
Seachem Prime

Hardscape
Black Spiderwood
Black Lava Stone

Substrate
ADA Amazonia Light
ADA Amazonia 2 Powder
ADA Power Sand Advance S
ADA Colorado sand
ADA La Plata Sand

Plants
Rotala sp. 'Green'
Rotala Nanjenshan
Rotala Vietnam H'ra
Juncus Repens
Bucephalandra Mini Melawi
Bucephalandra Hulu Boyan
Eleocharis Acicularis
Ludwigia 'Super Red'
Alternanthera Reineckii 'Mini'
Bacopa Monnieri
Hemianthus Micranthemoides
Phyllanthus Fluitans
Taxiphyllum alternans
Vesicularia Montagnei

Cheers,
Mike

Attachments

• IMG_5284.jpeg
    IMG_5284.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 330
  • IMG_5294.jpeg
    IMG_5294.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 285
Well done :)

though I’m confused what’s happening on the right back

If you’re intending the moss to attach (as much as possible) to hardscape, then trim tightly so that underlying layer doesn’t die back (re lack of light), once established, you can allow moss to grow longer

Well done :)

though I’m confused what’s happening on the right back

If you’re intending the moss to attach (as much as possible) to hardscape, then trim tightly so that underlying layer doesn’t die back (re lack of light), once established, you can allow moss to grow longer
With the plant or the weird reflection? Haha.

Thank you for the tip about the moss! I will do that tomorrow.

:lol: I completely overlooked the reflection (well trained by my own photo efforts and years of Eheim green)

I meant the empty substrate patch

A beautiful set up but @alto is right you need a LOT more plants. The soil should be covered in tiny plantlets. Plant mass is key to a successful stable scape. 👍

ps. When you add more (like yesterday) turn up the co2. It should be yellow in a brand new tank with no livestock.

A beautiful set up but @alto is right you need a LOT more plants. The soil should be covered in tiny plantlets. Plant mass is key to a successful stable scape. 👍

ps. When you add more (like yesterday) turn up the co2. It should be yellow in a brand new tank with no livestock.
Thank you for the feedback! Can you help me understand why the Co2 should be yellow in a new tank? Is it because the plants can handle more Co2 while they're growing and before any livestock is in there?

Here is the side view of the tank, I planted stems heavily in the back but it's mostly hidden in the pictures I posted above. Would you recommend a carpeting plant where the substrate is bare?

Thanks so much for the help!

Attachments

• IMG_5306.jpg
    IMG_5306.jpg
    720.7 KB · Views: 231
Thank you for the feedback! Can you help me understand why the Co2 should be yellow in a new tank? Is it because the plants can handle more Co2 while they're growing and before any livestock is in there?

Exactly this, if there is no livestock yo can crank up the co2.

Tank is looking great so far.

Exactly this, if there is no livestock yo can crank up the co2.

Tank is looking great so far.
Perfect, I'll crank that baby up. Is there an upper limit that can be harmful to plants? I was at 1bps and using the PH measurement determined I was at 30ppm, should I aim for a specific amount?

Also, what water parameters should I look for to know that things are going well? I'm doing daily water changes and getting 0 ppm readings on ammonia, but I'm assuming it will take a while for the tank to cycle since the plants are using it all up.

I think the tank looks great, I think you have made the right choice buying good stuff from the beginning. I have a light that is sitting still in the box, never even switched on only to make sure that it worked, and I have already replace it with an upgrade.

Perfect, I'll crank that baby up. Is there an upper limit that can be harmful to plants? I was at 1bps and using the PH measurement determined I was at 30ppm, should I aim for a specific amount?

Also, what water parameters should I look for to know that things are going well? I'm doing daily water changes and getting 0 ppm readings on ammonia, but I'm assuming it will take a while for the tank to cycle since the plants are using it all up.

Ignore the co2 table. Just go buy the drop checker (the table is not good).

Too much co2 to begin with to get the plants used to being underwater. 😃

New growth on the Rotala is looking quite yellow. Do I need to switch up my dosing? Help appreciated :)

Attachments

• IMG_5307.jpg
    IMG_5307.jpg
    717.7 KB · Views: 196
At 2 months in you can start adding nitrogen and iron.

The leaves look very round, almost growing without co2. With your light and co2 the leaves should be small and pointy. Bang up the co2 👍

At 2 months in you can start adding nitrogen and iron.

The leaves look very round, almost growing without co2. With your light and co2 the leaves should be small and pointy. Bang up the co2 👍
Roger that! Yellow it is :)

Well, over a week in now and lots of changes happening. Namely, my Rotala Green seems to finally be growing into the correct submerged shape, albeit very pale. I've upped the Fe and CO2 and am hoping that will help the new growth.

The leaves on my Ludwigia Super Red also seem to be curling... not sure why. Suggestions appreciated!

Lastly - seems like some mini Ramhorn snails have hitched a ride on the stems and are reproducing quickly. They seem to be quite fond of the dead leaves so I'm letting them do their thing for now :)

Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_5340.jpg
    IMG_5340.jpg
    376.4 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG-5356.jpg
    IMG-5356.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 192
Regarding the leaf curling and with my limited knowledge Im sure I read that this can be due to a lack of gH, so Ca and Mg. Im sure that someone with far more experience than me will be able to advise you better assistance.

Back