• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Hitch hiking plant on a recent purchase.

Steve Smith

Spent several hours planting mayaca stems today and found some strange little plant growing amongst the stems on each of the bunches of mayaca. It is a strange very delicate looking stringy plant with little leaves very spaced out. I rescued about 1" square of the stuff.

By coinsidence I was looking at Greenline for floating plants and I saw Utricularia gibba, a small floating insectivorous plant. This the best pic I can find with google images:

u_gibba1.jpg

Looks very similar. A nice write up here:

http://www.rook.org/earl/bwca/nature/aq ... iagib.html

I think I'll try to grow it on in my small tank and see if I can get a cool floating carpet plant from it.

I've had a similar experience in finding this and growing it on. If you grow it with other plants it send the long, fragile stems all over the place and as soon as you try and pull it out it breaks, making it almost impossible to remove! I wouldn't mix it back in with other plants! If you like it (and I do) put it in a big glass vase on a windowsill with a couple of snails or maybe shrimp and let it eat the tiny microorganisms that you'll get in there too. You may even see the traps trigger occasionally.

Thanks for the advice :) I might grow it in that little nano tank I have my endlers in. They're moving over to a larger tank, so I have nothing to put in this tiny tank at the moment. Shrimp and plants sounds like a plan :)

I've had that from Greenline too, For me it just got tangled in my hc then eventually fissled out, it wasn't all that pretty either it just looked like a bit of green cotton.

Back