• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

HOB with 260lph but Not enough Filteration?

sr20det

I have a 14l with a 260lph HOB Filter, its pretty good. I have a 500lph one but it was way to big for the tank and I dumped it for a smaller more proportionate filter.

The filteration is pretty good on this, but I dont think the flow isnt very good unfortunately and as I have a large bog wood in front of waterfall outlet I think flow is diffused somewhat. Pics in Sig if you want to see.

I wanted to add something to improve flow but wanted something small as again its only 14l and I want to avoid having huge eye sores in the tank.

One option was to upgrade from 260lph to a 400lph HOB, which would be slightly bigger but fit within the same parameters of the existing filter. Same time, I dont think waterfall style HOB are flow perfect.

Any recomendations?

hang on filters are not great at producing flow.... Maybe look at the tiny eheim external ?

darren636 said:
hang on filters are not great at producing flow.... Maybe look at the tiny eheim external ?

Its an option, but generally a tad overkill for a 14l, HOB seem well suited.

The only other is the Boyo/APS one (http://www.allpondsolutions.co.uk/aquar ... 0-l-h.html), but read bad things about that, so not 100% :crazy:

I was thinking something like a miniture wavemaker (Korola, etc), etc.

am sure the small eheim is for nano tanks.... My nano Koralia is 900 lph, even that is way too much for your shrimpies!

I'm not sure if moving to another filter will solve the issue. Yes, adding liquid carbon might help, just add a couple of dorps a day. You should consider trimming the plants to improve the flow and syphon the dirt if any around the wood.
A rinse of the filter media might be needed also.
After starting dosing liquid carbon wait for 3-4 weeks before changing anything else, things don't improve over night.

Mike

clonitza said:
I'm not sure if moving to another filter will solve the issue. Yes, adding liquid carbon might help, just add a couple of dorps a day. You should consider trimming the plants to improve the flow and syphon the dirt if any around the wood.
A rinse of the filter media might be needed also.
After starting dosing liquid carbon wait for 3-4 weeks before changing anything else, things don't improve over night.

Mike

Fair kop, media is cleaned regulalrly on a fortnight/3 wks basis in old tank water as part of my water change, the HOB is very easy cleaning. I will continue to dose liquid carbo and take it from there :)

I think A trim is indeed in order especially the moss on branches, but dont think there is enough growth to improve or affect flow.

Back