• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Hobgoblin's Cave 240L

It needs to be a decent diameter Rob! I tried it some time ago with a bit of half-inch pipe. As I lifted it clear of the tank, all the sand unclogged and spewed out all over the place...

My next bit of DIY problem solving is going to be a diffuser for the WC pipe so that the incoming water doesn't create a maelstrom in the tank...

I'm going to use a piece of pipe and fit a push-fit stop-end on it. Then I'll drill some holes in the pipe and shove that into the piece of hosepipe that I use to fill the tank with when I do my WC.

It will be just like a spray bar really. The flow of the water will be diffused through the many holes of the pipe, which will hopefully stop all the sand getting churned up.

I'm going to use a piece of pipe and fit a push-fit stop-end on it. Then I'll drill some holes in the pipe and shove that into the piece of hosepipe that I use to fill the tank with when I do my WC.

It will be just like a spray bar really. The flow of the water will be diffused through the many holes of the pipe, which will hopefully stop all the sand getting churned up.

I use an intake strainer of an external filter for the same job, run in reverse so the water comes out the strainer. As water hits the bottom it fans out through the slots. Works really well.

Got my CO2 installed today. The flow rate is incredibly low though, and I can't seem to adjust it to go faster.
16632261334_168c0510a5_c.jpg

17252976012_c5fa79e731_c.jpg
17254750175_59a481b035_c.jpg

Any suggestions folks?

After having a few PM's with people on the forum (thanks George and Andy in particular) and direct contact with Martin at CO2 Supermarket (who was very helpful) I've established what the problem is:

The TMC reg operates at around 2 bar, which is not powerful enough for the in-line diffuser.

So, as the diffuser is already plumbed in, I am having to get a new reg for Hobgoblin's Cave.

The existing, older, TMC reg that operates at 2 bar will have to be used with an external reactor in my other project, or will possibly go to a relative for his tank.

Service will be resumed shortly... :D

I got my CO2 reg from CO2 Supermarket and got it all running. It took a bit of adjustment, but seems to be running OK.
17188177007_132cede08f_c.jpg

The Echinodorus tenellus that I got from Ryan all started to melt, so I had to sort the spray bars out quick
17395259281_959ca09ef4_c.jpg

I bought a 2m length of PVC tube off a local company advertising on Ebay. They cut it in half for me and also cut some discs of clear pvc to stick on as end caps. Then, using a pillar drill, I drilled holes along the length of the tube. I used aquarium silicon to stick the end pieces on and let them set.
17020892493_0a36328124_c.jpg

The distribution of CO2 is now much better; the E. tenellus is picking up, and the Hydrocotyle verticillata is too!

17453892290_16b444ef1e_c.jpg

I've got a second length of tubing available to use on the RHS filter outlet. I'm not sure yet if I'll use it, or just continue with the existing short bar (just visible on the right in the picture above). I've deliberately fitted the CO2 bar a couple of inches down into the tank and tilted it downwards slightly. The shorter bar is aimed almost horizontally, and just moves the surface a bit. This has allowed my little ring paddock of floating Pistia Sp to spin around quite pleasantly.

Through conversation and reading, I've learned that my hard water might be causing some melting. Does anybody have any suggestions on this? I've mixed up my Ei in 2.5L bottles, so could easily decant down to 500ml and add extra content if directed.

Hi folks. I haven't updated you all for a while as I've been rather busy and also struggling with the illness a bit unfortunately.

My long spray bar seems to be working perfectly. The short bar will hopefully be replaced this week with another long bar.

I added an air pump to run for a few hours at night (and also a couple of 15 minute periods during the day).
The lighting unit had to be replaced as the plastic had started to warp. After replacement I left one of the top flaps off to reduce the heat. It also bathes the wall in a pleasant wash of light.

The moss grew well, but then I started to get a lot of algae. All different kinds! Hair, BBA, spots etc etc. After removal of the moss I found that the fish seemed to prefer it quite a bit, so I'm pleased with this result.

More detailed updates to follow!

Back