• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Holes in floating plants

yes that's how I'm feeling..the tanks are thriving..I'm just curious to understand more deeply...it's all so amazing when you look really closely

Hi all,
Hi Darrel (@dw1305)

To which linked thread are you referring? I had a look but couldn't find it.

JPC
It is <"Hair/Blackbeard Algae help please"> thread, where we talk about low range phosphorus test kits.
jaypeecee said:
I use the JBL PO4 (sensitive) test kit which is obviously (?) measuring the inorganic phosphate ion (orthophosphate)
Hi @dw1305

Yes, the JBL PO4 Sensitive Test Kit goes blue as PO4 is detected. It's good to be reassured that I can rely on it. I wonder if it's a re-branded Macherey-Nagel Visocolor ECO kit? Both JBL and the latter are German companies.
I'm pretty sure that will give you a reasonably accurate value for PO4---. I think this is a test which <"goes blue">? I'd be honest and say that I would be surprised, if any-one who uses tap water in the UK, suffers much in the way of phosphate deficiency. As far as I know all UK tap water is treated with orthophosphoric acid (or sodium phosphate) which supplies an excess of phosphorus ions that will react with any lead (Pb) or copper (Cu) ions in the water. The technical term is <"control of plumbosolvency">.

They <"add phosphorus to our tap water">, even though it comes out of a deep-limestone aquifer and is heavily carbonate buffered.

cheers Darrel

Back