• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Holes in leaves

Mumma Jones

Seedling
Hello,
I’ve added a lot of new plants to my tank about two three weeks ago. They are all growing really well except one of the plants has holes in the leaves, new and old leaves.
Would anyone know what is causing this? I am removing the old leaves as they die and new leaves appear.

I have a Juwel 350L 4x54w t5 lights I add API CO2 booster everyday and dose Flourish once a week. The lights are on for 7hrs.

I’ll attach a pic

Thank you

Attachments

• 38FDF132-0791-434A-88C8-EEDB1909B513.jpeg
    38FDF132-0791-434A-88C8-EEDB1909B513.jpeg
    834.6 KB · Views: 341
What substrate do you have? Maybe try using the flourish everyday rather than once a week. Devide over 7 days rather than 1 day. Or maybe the flourish doesn't have every nutrient in it that the plant needs.

Cheers Lee.

Hi Lee,
I have the ADA clay soil. Thanks I might try dosing I’m smaller amounts more often. It’s strange it’s only this one type of plant though. I’m even growing MC with no dramas.

You need to give more details of your aquarium, the experts usually conclude lack of carbon.or snails predating on a plant

You need to give more details of your aquarium, the experts usually conclude lack of carbon.or snails predating on a plant
Snails predating on a plant? I have millions of the little bliters can't get rid of them.

Most of the loach fish ie clown candy pygmy chain will eat pest snails depending on your tank size a couple or trio of these will help keep snails down.
The OP do you have any plecos in your tank?

More details of setup needed and a FTS will help.

I initially think too much light in combination with lack of Carbon and inadequate flow/tank turnover.
Reasons for assumption-- good plant growth lots of snails keeping algae under control, pin holes on some leaves not coping with the light with the carbon/flow in the localised area.
Improve the tank turnover by optimising input and output positioning possible addition of Lily pipe or spraybar.
Increase carbon dosing.
Decrease light period and/or rise hight of T5 tubes or add silver foil to small sections of T5 to decrease light output.
Do the plants wave about in the flow?

Hi I don’t have any snails in my tank. I have two baby plexus and one large one, why do you ask? @Daveslaney
The tank turn over is 10x the tank volume and yes the plants more in the flow so I wouldn’t think that would be it.
I was having trouble with diatoms( it’s not a new set up but had changed the filter) and I have a few octo’s that have been loving that. I have a bit of Cyanobacteria along the front at the substrate. I might triple the dose of carbon and see if that helps.
Thank you

As it is specifically one plant in your tank and it looks by the photo that the outside layers of the leaves are being stripped I think it could be your plecos that are eating the leaves. I had much the same thing happen in one if my tanks only on my sword plants. Eventually found out it was the Bristle nose plecos.

Plecos in a planted tank? Hmmm, sounds like a salad buffet for them plecs. Perhaps trade them for ottos? The only pleco I’ve kept in a planted tank is starlight pleco, can’t remember the L number though but they stay smaller than bristlenose ones and did not munch on my plants then.

Really? I’ve had my bristle nose on my planted tank for years and never had any drama. I recently bought two baby white bristle noses and this is a new plant so maybe Its a preferred plant. I’d prefer it to be the fish and not that I’m lacking in nutrients etc. I will keep and eye on them.
Thanks x

Hi all,
Need a better picture of the plant...as it may not be aquatic!..
I was wondering what the plant was as well, and also whether it was really that pale green, or just washed out by the camera flash.

If it is <"Hygrophila corymbosa">? It looks fairly nutrient deficient, and that looks a lot like <"interveinal chlorosis">.

cheers Darrel

Hi,
Yes the older leaves are that pale and the newer leaves are coming through are a bit darker green. It was that light green before I put it in the tank. Yes Darrel it is Hygrophilia Corymbosa (green temple). I will look into interveinal chlorosis.
Thanks

Hi all,
Yes the older leaves are that pale and the newer leaves are coming through are a bit darker green. It was that light green before I put it in the tank. Yes Darrel it is Hygrophilia Corymbosa (green temple)
Thanks, that is really useful.

Because the plant was pale, and has gone darker green, it has taken up one (or more) of the plant mobile nutrients that had been deficient. The three most likely mobile ones are nitrogen (N), potassium (K) and magnesium (Mg). Plants need a lot more nitrogen and potassium than they do magnesium, but magnesium uptake can be interfered with by a very high calcium to magnesium ratio. Because Hygrophila corymbosa grows well in hard water, the calcium ro magnesium ratio is less likely to be an issue than with a plant that naturally occurs in soft water.

Interveinal chlorosis is often associated with deficiencies of magnesium and/or iron (Fe). Magnesium is mobile, so deficiences occur in older leaves, iron isn't mobile so deficiencies occur in younger leaves.

If you move an iron deficient plant into an environment with available iron the older leaves remain chlorotic, but new leaves will be a healthier green.

cheers Darrel

Is the plant not simply having a hard time adjusting to emersed growth? Are there any new leaves forming? Are these healthy?

Hi all,
Is the plant not simply having a hard time adjusting to....
Could be, but if you look at the lower leaves in the photo you can see very obvious darker veins in a lighter leaf matrix. This is strongly suggestive of <"interveinal chlorosis">.

The CO2 issue is why I choose a floating plant as my <"nutrient canary">, it allows you to discount CO2 availability and issues with plants adjusting from emersed to submersed growth.

cheers Darrel

Back