• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Holiday fish foods

Rasbo

Which time delay food do other members recommend to feed the fish whilst away?

If they are calcium based how will they affect the water quality?

Hi all,
Unless you have fry a week without feeding is fine, and even 2 weeks is OK for most fish. If I'm away I put a really small amount of food in a dated, labelled tube ("week 1", "week 2" etc.), and then any one can do the feeding.

cheers Darrel

If its for a few days I generally dont put any holiday food in but do make sure the few days prior I feed them every day without fail to feed them up. If its a 2-4 week holiday I feed them up before i go and put a big tetra block in as im leaving the house. Never had any problems and i'm sure there are lots of bits in the tank for the fish to feed on.

It's also a good idea to hide ALL fish food to stave off any chance your neighbour/friend might become an overzealous fish expert overnight and decides to create an ammonia spike by over feeding

Wise words Sir, wise words:joyful:

I like the battery timer fish feeders when i'm away, fill with food, set when you want to feed and adjust output level, fairly easy and reliable. Although for the most part up to a week is fine with no food, if they've been fed up before.....

Thanks for the tips guys, clearly best to avoid getting family or friends involved if you wish to avoid problems. I like the pill box idea which world avoid overfeeding.

Back