• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Holiday Time! What hell do I do now???

Net_fisher2

Seedling
Guys and Girls,
I need your help.....
Things are going so well now,
that the TV is gathering dust in the corner only getting turned on for repeats of 'Blakes 7'..:oops:..
If you dont know it dont ask...

Pic of current tank
TankPic1.jpg

Tank is mainly thanks to Cegapedia and the Algae forum...

So The question is I am away on Hols for 3 weeks......What do I do???? :?:

Best
Net_fisher2

get a friend or nieghbour to feed the fish, if you are unsure whether they will overfeed then bag up portions for each day. also do the same for dosing ferts, easier if it is dry but i'm sure they will be able to measure out the correct amount of liquid ;)

Get them to check temperature, fish and drop checker

water and filter will (should) last for 3 weeks.

Thanks Aaron,
Guess I could measure out all dosing into little pots Etc etc...

So no water changes??? :wideyed:
I have no algea at all, and just done a two week trial without water change.
Going to give a good clean out tomorrow thou, and then another mid week to capture anything still in there...

Best
Net_fisher2

Net_fisher2 said:
Thanks Aaron,
Guess I could measure out all dosing into little pots Etc etc...

So no water changes??? :wideyed:
I have no algea at all, and just done a two week trial without water change.
Going to give a good clean out tomorrow thou, and then another mid week to capture anything still in there...

Best
Net_fisher2

no water changes would be bad with EI, maybe they could do a small w/c, better than nothing?

Wow Net_fisher, that does not look even remotely like the tank you showed some time ago (remember the one with the yellow bi-plane?) I mean that looks good enough to eat mate. I'm serious about this. Well done mate. :D

I guess I must be a complete fanatic because I wouldn't even be concerned about the fish starving. Let them eat dead leaves and algae. I worry about nutrients. If you are feeling guilty about the fish measure out three portions for the person to use. The fish will survive quite well on once a week feeding. So reduce the growth rate by reducing light, reduce the organic waste by reduced feeding and you ought to be OK.

You've got everything on timers right? Well, I would lower the light by 50% if possible. Make sure you have a full CO2 cylinder so you're sure it doesn't run out. Reduce the bubble rate a little. Measure out doses for two doses per week and make them extra large doses. Put each dose in individual baggies like Aaron suggests. That means the person only has to perform 6 doses. Start the lower light regime + water change + filter clean a few days before you leave to make sure that the bubble rate will be OK with the fish.

Cheers,

ceg4048 said:
Wow Net_fisher, that does not look even remotely like the tank you showed some time ago (remember the one with the yellow bi-plane?) I mean that looks good enough to eat mate. I'm serious about this. Well done mate.
High Praise... :oops: I am also really pleased how it has turned out!

planter said:
I Would put a new gas cylinder on to be sure it dosent run out whilst your away. Pressuming your using a solenoid and timers on the lights and you can get someone to dose you should be fine. Be prepared to find a jungle when you get back
Good idea about the Co2 tank, I will get a refil before i go. 6 months in now so why not.

ceg4048 said:
guess I must be a complete fanatic because I wouldn't even be concerned about the fish starving. Let them eat dead leaves and algae.
I feed so very little, a once a week feed would be totally ok for my fish, they would hardly notice.

ceg4048 said:
You've got everything on timers right?
Everything on timers, even the heating cos lights are so low...

Guess I can relax a little then :)
Just got to find the right person now :rolleyes:

Thanks to you all
Net_fisher2

aaronnorth said:
if it goes wrong and empties the whole lot of food & ferts then what a disaster that would be :!:
Could it really go that wrong?

aaronnorth said:
I've not heard the best reviews on them
Thinking of getting one to automate feeding although feeding is not really a problem, what I want is an Aqua Medic pump for auto fert dosing. Seen a couple that I am interested in might give them a go, this would mean I would have to create a DIY liquid all in one solution. Also could use one of these pumps to auto top off or auto water change when I was on holiday but just leaving a hose connected to it. Something I am going to look into very soon.

Back