• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Home 85 Floating base

Nick C

Seedling
The new Superfish Home 85 has a "floating base" (their description) with which one should not use an underlay. The idea that a base that has to transfer some 95kg of weight to a strong flat base is questionable. I would like to use vinyl floor covering with a oak pattern and good colour match to our furniture. It protects the furniture from odd water splashs that always occur.
Does anyone know how the "floating base" actually works?
What to you put under your aquariums?
The aquarium is well made with good mouldings and glass. But like many people I have already removed the filter box because it was an eyesore and prevented you seeing the heater light. The latter is the only piece of electrical kit I want to see.
Nick

Hi,

The tanks surround act as the protection for the actual glass base of the tank, so the surround needs to be on a solid level surface to distrubute the weight evenly as a too soft surface could create pressure points.
If you are using a thin harder type of vinyl think that would be fine but avoid the really thick and soft kinds that the tank could sink into.

A better alternative (?) the thin sticky back films, also known as Fablon, available in lots of wood designs , colours and patterns inclding clear and frosted.

Also look at the range of Formica and similar laminates .
Formica Sheets - Plastics and Veneers

Back