• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

DIY Project home made lighting stand's hints & tips

Mark Evans

Expert
well i'm buggered if i'm spending a fortune on lighting stands. i went to homebase bought some bit's and bobs and made my own. i'm still lacking 3 bit's but I'm almost there! (notice the wrong colour fitting) i need feet to

_MG_1650-01.jpg

_MG_1651-01.jpg

the height might need adjusting when my new light arrives tomorrow.

Re: saintly's home made lighting stand

Is this for one of those hanging halide thingymajigs? I saw them in use at TGM and they're amazing! A bit pricey though... It looks ace, nice one!

Dude, that's actually quite nice... good job man... I thought the light was covering both tanks though?

And Mark, you know you're meant to sit on the chairs and put food/drinks on the table, right? Not the other way round :lol:

JamesM said:
And Mark, you know you're meant to sit on the chairs and put food/drinks on the table, right? Not the other way round :lol:

:lol: you da man! i'm still learning basic skills mate

rawr said:
Is this for one of those hanging halide thingymajigs? I saw them in use at TGM and they're amazing!

thats the one thomas, but this is home made for a fraction of the price.

Tonser said:
Are you going to run the power cables up inside the tubes too ;)

already there mate, the tubing needs drilling to do it, but that's the plan.

the great thing with this for me is, i can swap it to any tank i want :D i just need a new horizontal bar each tank.

Nice job Mark, post the final photos when you cut it to fit limunaire and also when you have the cables running inside, looks pretty good ;)

aaronnorth said:
Is there a reason for it biong so high?

I've got a MH lamp coming tomorrow, the arcadia mini pendant. so, i know there is intense light, hence the height.

i need to play around with the cables etc. this lighting rig will eventually run on my new 90cm tank.

LondonDragon said:
post the final photos when you cut it to fit limunaire and also when you have the cables running inside

will do :D

Tourney said:
Fantastic Mark, what a great idea. I love seeing DIY solutions on peoples equipment/tanks 8)

cheers dude :p

TDI-line said:
Very nice Mark, i could always rustle one up in 22mm copper. :lol:

i did think of you actually, but copper never came to mind......

what do you reckon to my plumbing? ;)

Nice work Mark, looks good.
TDI-line said:
I did one a while ago out of copper pipe, used undercoat for a grey finish and lacquered it, worked very well...
IMG_0655.jpg

TDI-line said:

i did think of you actually, but copper never came to mind......

what do you reckon to my plumbing? ;)[/quote]

Pretty good bud, i suppose you could always add some small lead leaves too. :D

TDI-line said:
Pretty good bud, i suppose you could always add some small lead leaves too. :D

:lol: yeah would look classy. i could form a sand cast mould up and make some fishies.

JamesM said:
That is such a cool idea... Marky, do you make leaves then bud?

when i gop to the yard, i can make anything you like out of lead mate. when we make hopper heads (real expensive ones sometimes £1000 each) the mouldings need to be pre poured, then we burn/weld them to teh head. it gets quite complex sometimes, but very rewarding.

here's the issue i had....

the type of pipe didn't have 90 degree angles so i was confused how to make the corner look nice....

_MG_1670-01.jpg

so i bought this 90 degree chrome fitting and some smaller plastic tubing.....

_MG_1671-01.jpg

and inserted....voila nice clean angle!

_MG_1669-01.jpg

Ahh, i see, very clever.

TDI's top tip

If you was using the white plastic pipe for real (ie mains water), you would need to add an insert to strengthen the pipe, between the cut pipe and compression fitting.
;)

TDI-line said:
TDI's top tip

If you was using the white plastic pipe for real (ie mains water), you would need to add an insert to strengthen the pipe, between the cut pipe and compression fitting.
;)
The things you learn on a planted tank forum ;)

Back