• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Honey gouramis

Mattant1984

Can anyone offer experience keeping honey gouramis, would like to know how well they got on in a group.

I am looking at about 10 in total and will probably be going for the red colour strain.

Would also like to know how they were with plants??

Many thanks

I kept a group of six, two male, 4 female in a 160ltr tank. No issues at all, found them to be very peaceable. The boys showed off to each other occasionally but nothing more than than that. Lovely fish.

No plant problems either. They quite like some floating plants to make bubble nests in, but they never caused damage to anything.

Male gouramis in general can sometimes be a bit boisterous towards other male gouramis, so bear in mind that you typically want at least 2-3 females per male. Honey gouramis are one of the more docile species though, and I've never found any trouble makers amongst them - they're usually super peaceful.

Three-spot gouramis, on the other hand, are often a different story :lol:

I kept a group of six, two male, 4 female in a 160ltr tank. No issues at all, found them to be very peaceable. The boys showed off to each other occasionally but nothing more than than that. Lovely fish.

No plant problems either. They quite like some floating plants to make bubble nests in, but they never caused damage to anything.
Thanks for the info, especially in regards to the male / female ratio. I have a huge amount of room in my tank so that should also help.
Think they will be my next fish 😁😁

Male gouramis in general can sometimes be a bit boisterous towards other male gouramis, so bear in mind that you typically want at least 2-3 females per male. Honey gouramis are one of the more docile species though, and I've never found any trouble makers amongst them - they're usually super peaceful.

Three-spot gouramis, on the other hand, are often a different story :lol:
A lot of people say the same about the 3 spots lol, I think the honeys will be good for my tank, thanks for your help 😁😁👍🏼

I had two males and one female (tried to buy two females one male but that didn't work out when they grew up) and the males harassed the female something rotten. Was a big tank too,

Back