• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Hooray

Brilliant. Let us know how it looks and works for you sure. I've been looking at them and I'm very tempted for my 60l tank!

Dave

Ooh, the wait must be killing you :D
I wish I had the money for one of these. Let us know how it goes and put up a couple of pictures while you install it :thumbup:

Yep it arrived today - not sure what to think at the moment!
Nice neat light just like the advertising shows but when I first switched in on in the lounge I was not exactly impressed.
I tried switching off all the room lights & seeing what the hand held effect would be on the room, definitely a bright LED spot light but I dont think it could light up the room anywhere near as well as a T5 or even a T8.
I mean you could not light up the room anywhere other than where the light is pointing, not necessarily a bad thing in the aquarium but I guess I wasn't sure what to expect.
Any how it was not difficult to install the unit, not for me anyhow due to my tank cover being made from wood.
The effect is interesting due to the shimmer effect you get from the unit but it is not as bright as I had hoped however I am not unhappy because at 12 watts this is a seriously bright light - time will tell how well it performs.......

OK - two days after installing the "12watt" light I can see noticeable activity from the foreground plant directly under the light.
My pogostemon helferi seems to be especially joyous showing changes in colour & form.
The LED seems to have good penetrative power though the water column & in no way as invasive to the room ambience as other shimmer effect or spots lights I have tried.... looking very promising!
NB. The Grolight is an addition to my present fluorescent lighting.

Any pictures of it?

One thing to remember is that LED lights are more directional than a t5/t8 tube which emits light 360degrees hence the need for reflectors etc. The LED's are very effective at reducing wasted light. My tank in lounge lights the whole room due to the tubes.

Sounds promising though!

Andy

I have positioned the light right behind the front glass & only 50mm above the water level as I fond the ripple effect to noticeable when the light was higher....
P1050018.jpg

I was in B&Q today & I noticed that they now sell a range of replacement GU10 bulbs, I bought a 3.7w 3 xLED bulb.
Cost about £11.00 & seems to be very efficient!!
Previous B&Q 1.1w LEDs that I have bought were not very bright but this one seems to have three very bright diodes in the bulb & really does produce a bright light.

Back