• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Horrible tap water issue

I've mentioned it before but my water has a horrible oily scum straight out of the tap. In my current aquarium it's not really an issue as I'm using the walstad method and water changes are minimal. I can also use rain water as we have two water butts.

Now, I'm moving house next saturday (a mile away so the same water) and plan to set up a new scape with co2 and regular water changes etc. Last time I had a tank like this I'd have this horrible oily scum for 4/5 days before the filter dealt with it. Obviously this isn't desirable! What can I do to overcome this? Pre filtering the water through carbon? I don't think I'll have access to enough rainwater if I'm doing large weekly water changes so that's not an option. The new place has a small water butt which just won't cut it as I'll also be using it for the veg patch.

Yours,

Concerned in London.

Aqua sobriquet said:
What about one of those under sink filters some folks have in their kitchens with it's own tap? Not sure how good the filters are and how often you have to change them though.

This sort of thing: http://www.jtote.com/product_info.php/w ... 0b0pfbeu84

Yeah that's a good idea thanks. My partner hates drinking the water so two birds with one stone, not sure whether I can do it in a rental property however.

Another solution which isn't ideal but wouldn't require you doing any DIY to the property would be using a britta filter or equivalent.

I could but I think the filter media would need changing very often. Not sure it could cope with 30 odd gallons a week? That's why I thought of just using whatever is used in britta water filters, I'm sure it's just activated carbon or something similar.

Edit: Britta water filters are basically activated carbon and Ion exchange resin.

Edit x 2: I can just buy these separately in bulk, I feel an experiment coming on.

Back