Hosepipe water change

StephenB

Hi, just wanted to check if hose pipes are safe to use as part of a water change as don't want any nasty chemicals leaching in to the tank?

Obviously combined with a declorinator.

StephenB

Cheers, saves buying more tubing.

I have a powerhead which can pump the water back into the tank and gravity takes care of emptying.

Fisher2007

Can I ask where you bought the Y connector with taps? I've seen hozelock do one but many of the reviews say they leak from the tap. Do you have problems with yours leaking?

Cheers

alto

Depends on location/source ... in my area all garden type hose is treated with anti-fungals etc, only “drinking water safe hose” is untreated

StephenB

I'm in the UK and don't think it's a requirement that hose pipes have anti-fungal treatment. That are treated that way would be advertised as such and cost a lot more money.

HafMan

I use a hose pipe too. I just bleached the pipe to clean it out then flushed it with plenty of water. I use a connector that fits the shower out let that then sends the water to the attic

I fill my tank up using a hose pipe - connected to the kitchen sink tap which is a mixer tap, cold water from the rising main and hot water from the hot water cylinder then I just the mix to get the correct temp.

Paul

Surya

I use this drinking safe one, just in case:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hozelock-Tricoflex-Ultraflex-Hose-Yellow/dp/B01BWN2IFS?th=1

Not sure if it's necessary but the "free of heavy metals, phthalates" etc spiel made me feel better. Plus it doesn't kink which is handy and worth the extra on its own.

Never had a problem with it and been doing it for 2 years. I always dose dechlorinator (Prime) for the full tank volume.

I switch the filter off and dose the dechlotinator for the amount I change into the same spot as the hose pipe... never had any problems.

Chris Tinker

I stick a pump i n a bucket with my new water. I can treat and regulate the tempature straight back in to the tank then.

The return is on a spray bar to not wash everything away

Saw on this site and a huge relief at water change time.