• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

House plants in used aquasoil?

Epiphyte

I've got 25 litres of Tropica soil I'm reluctant to throw away, yet don't want to use in my new tank as it's getting a little old and has come from an algae infested swamp of a tank.

Has anyone reused aquasoil for planting house plants?

My concerns would be how quickly it may dry, but this could be useful for succulents and cacti possibly due to my inherent ability to over water and kill them.

Thoughts?

I've got a bucket of Tropica soil too! I was thinking along the same lines but was concerned the little balls would break down & form a very muddy mess. I'm considering making a 50/50 mixture with peat free compost to see if that will be better for the plant roots. I'm planning on using it in a bottle garden....

I've used it as suggested above as part of a mix and it seems to do the job. It probably made up about 25% at most so I don't know about its drainage or water retention.

I've been mixing left over substrate into pots for a while (years). For newer stuff (less than a year under water), I might mix it with perlite and sand (again from the tank) and then use it for cactus/ succulent, and I've got some good growth from that. For older stuff, I normally just dig it through the veg patch, which I tend to double dig each winter. I've actually got about 60l of old aquasoil that I need to put in the ground, but I've been a bit nomadic these last few years.

Back