• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

House plants

Does anyone grow any house plants? My aim for this year in the bring the garden inside!

Attachments

• IMG_20200306_165740_123.jpg
    IMG_20200306_165740_123.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 167
Couldn't live without them. A Dypsis lutescens and a Shefflera sp. already over 15 years old. :)

Also, Olocasia zebrina, Syngonium sp., Begonia maculata-corallina, Cyperus papyrus, Çyperus haspans, Cisus amazonia, Pepromia sp. several climbing ficus, Pachira aquatica, a Nephentes hybrid, Clitoria ternatea. A few Orchids i got from Darrel. :)

And probably forgot a few. And a few bog/aquariumplants growing emersed in an open top in a riparium setup.

The rest +/- 10 species is in terrarium setups. Some also might grow as houseplant if transitioned properly. But that's nother thing.

Couldn't live without them. A Dypsis lutescens and a Shefflera sp. already over 15 years old. :)

Also, Olocasia zebrina, Syngonium sp., Begonia maculata-corallina, Cyperus papyrus, Çyperus haspans, Cisus amazonia, Pepromia sp. several climbing ficus, Pachira aquatica, a Nephentes hybrid, Clitoria ternatea. A few Orchids i got from Darrel. :)

And probably forgot a few. And a few bog/aquariumplants growing emersed in an open top in a riparium setup.

The rest +/- 10 species is in terrarium setups. Some also might grow as houseplant if transitioned properly. But that's nother thing.
That's a collection and a half!

I had my collection displayed in my open front tank but it became to much to maintain so I took it down but kept a few of the airplants.
I dont know their names but they are really easy to keep if you spray rain water a few times a day and give them loads of light.

If it is the green and rosy ones in front - they are Tillandsia ionantha.
I've got some too. They're really easy to grow, and many of my friends (who are really not good with house plants) now have a few hanging in their windows

Yes they are fun but only appeal to certain people, I have found they die pretty quickly if I use tap water but when I say quickly, it is hard to tell if they are actually dying as most of the time they look like dried up dead plants anyway!

Once they flower it seems the parent plant has about 6 months left, the flowers often last 4 weeks or more, then you start to see little plants appearing and then the mother slowly starts to completely dry up.
It is all quite interesting, to be honest I have been trying to keep them for most of my life but only really worked it out in the last few years.
I bought a Staghorn fern last year, that is doing really well and seems to be even growning throughout the winter although it is in an outdoor summerhouse.
I will get a picture tomorrow.

I brought this stagghorn fern last summer, I was not quite sure what to expect as they are semi tropical and renowned for getting very big.
I got it out of its pot and secured it onto a walnut board, I drilled lots of holes in the board hoping the roots will attach to the wood.
I then surrounded the root ball with sphagnum moss and neatly contained it with some black netting and stapled it in place.
What I do is remove the plant from the wall every week, take it outside and run rainwater all over it before placing it back in place.
First picture was one month after I got it second picture from this morning.
DFEDED56-7E37-4487-974D-E91EB722E29D.jpeg

1640EC57-6653-45CD-9A77-CAC2180E312E.jpeg

DFEDED56-7E37-4487-974D-E91EB722E29D.jpeg

Back