• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Household GU10 LED lighting

foxfish

I have 3 x 9w GU10 bulbs + 2 x 39w T5s over my 220lt tank, all the lights are 50cm above the water.
Here is a pic of just the 3 LEDs on.

65864db6bb84c13ceff5025c6c1a3d1a.jpg

very nice!!

i like the conduit spray bar

what have you mounted the gu10's in?

Thanks, actually waste pipe overflow - we have a black & white theme in our lounge.
The LED lights are fitted into a wooden canopy using standard down light fittings....

8d617c4bc5e26f60420f256bd95f4600.jpg

The far light is a warm white, the center a blue & the near light is a daylight white.

That is a good piece of DIY. Maybe you could put an article together for the lights. I know I would be interested in replicating it.

The LEDs are very effective lighting in that they please the eye but, I can tell you that one 39w T5 is considerably brighter than 3 x 9w LEDs!
That is not a technical fact but an observation from my prospective.
The LEDs shine very bright & seem to penetrate the water well but the tubes offer a much broader beam that lights up my whole room through the tank glass.
However the combination works very well at showing off the tank & producing good plant growth.
I use the LEDs on their own for one hour before & two hours after the T5s come on - just for effect & the effect is superb, sending ripples of light into our room.
Unfortunately the LEDs on there own just dont seem to offer very good pant growth.

Do you know what kelvin they are? In my experience LEDs have always trumped t5's they don't look as bright to the human eye but the par and directed light output means plant growth should be a lot higher than with t5's

In this respect you can't really trust your eyes, brighter to you isn't always better!

Well I guess the warm white would be around 3500k. the daylight 6500k & like I said the middle light is blue!
I think in my case, using the bulbs I have, I would need another six or eight to get good plant growth.
This is not an issue for me though as I am very happy with the combination set up I am using :)
The tank has been used as a bit of a lighting experiment over the last 9 months, it started off with a 70w MT then 4 x T5 & now as it is.

63222e1260e48776647ac1214dade229.jpg

Damn I was looking at these recently for a few nanos. Might have a go at diying some Cree ones.

Back