• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

How aggressively can I trim Monte Carlo?

kanelucas

Hi, my Monte Carlo carpet has exploded and is possibly 6 inches tall. How aggressively should I trim this back? I’m worried that if I take it back too far it will die.

Hi, my Monte Carlo carpet has exploded and is possibly 6 inches tall. How aggressively should I trim this back? I’m worried that if I take it back too far it will die.
Is it definitely Monte Carlo? I didn't think it could get to 6 inches, at least not without floating away from whatever it's attached to.

Pretty sure.
EB94FEBB-056D-4D7E-B330-5E0C5E320D6D.jpeg

This looks like it is much much too thick and will need to be replanted completely in my opinion. On the positive side, you have a looot of plant material to work with for replanting 😆 A major part of maintaining a carpet plant is making sure it doesn't choke out the oldest parts. I dont think the bottom part here will spring back to life if trimmed to an appropriate thickness, but I could be wrong

I dont think the bottom part here will spring back to life if trimmed to an appropriate thickness, but I could be wrong
I agree, the bottom part looks rotten. The top part however, looks very very healthy. Keeping this cut shorter should prevent the bottom from decaying.

I concur with the above posts, it all needs to come out before it causes you a massive headache. Eventually the healthy part will detach on its own and float up... But the bottom will become an algae magnet...

I have the same problem gonna pull the whole lot out and use the top healthy inch for replanting. I will do more proactive lawn maintenance in the future!

I actually trimmed mine right back in the end. Looked very brown and dry for a good while, but now it’s growing like crazy again. Will need to trim it each week now.

I think the only true carpet is Elatine hydropiper. Perhaps you could give it a try.

Back