• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

How 'big' does your Crypt. Parva grow?

nry

I put a good handful of crypt. Wendtii in my tank recently, and already had 2 plants in, but I'm wondering if they'll end up a big big for the layout as they all grow in.

I perhaps should have bought some crypt. parva instead or perhaps as well as, to put around the foreground of the layout, and I'm curious to know how high/wide this plant normally gets? If it looks a better choice I might look to getting some to replace some of the larger wendtii's.

Seems to match the Tropica info then - likely a better choice for foreground in my tank than the larger crypts I have now!

It would be away from the glass as the idea would be to put it around the base of the windelov/wood :) Cheers for the info :)

Crptocoryne parva does mostly seem to stay within the range given on tropica.com (5-10cm). Here are som pictures of it growing in my tank. I think the leaves reached about 8cm long, including petiole (stem). The photos are Sep '08 (just planted), Nov '09 (10 weeks) and Feb '09 (5 months). Ad you can see, it's not a fast grower! The tank's 18" long if that helps you visualise the size, and there is some Glossostigma in the last photo for size comparison too.

Planted:
DSC00043-2.JPG

!0 weeks
DSC00196.JPG

5 months
DSC00284.JPG

It has been my favourite plant for nearly 20 years (and was just about unobtainable in UK when I first wanted to grow it). Glad it's so freely available now.

The emersed leaves are much wider, and with more distinct petioles than the leaves it grows underwater, which are much more strap-like (as in my pictures). There aren't any emersed leaves in any of my pictures, beacause the plants I planted were from another tank anyway - just telling you so yo're not surprised if you buy some and it doesn't look like the plants in my tank.

So-called wendtii are much more variable - some will stay 10/12cm tall, others will grow to 20/25cm. If they got too big for where you've got them just try them in a different position (probably further back, or around some wood or stone).

Hope that helps,

Mark

Cheers for the photo's, it looks a much better choice than where I have put some of the wendtii at the moment :)

Back