• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

How can I add more substrate

Sirkavu

Hello Everyone,

How are you all doing?

I have a 180L Juwel tank with Tropica Aquarium Soil and I really would love to add more substrate to it yet, I don't know if I can just add it or not? Do I need to wait 30 days before putting my fish in again, can I just add the substrate or do I just put it bit by bit?

Thank you for the help and take care :)

you can store substrate in a bucket with water and change the water out every few days. after a month or so it should be safe.

When starting a tank your filter has Zero bacteria in it relatively, so when you add ADA AS you get the Ammonium/Nitrite spike as the filter has no/very little capacity to handle it. Once a tank/filter has competed it initial cycle it ha a much greater capacity to handle the Ammonium, so IMO if you add a little at a time you should be fine as it will convert the Ammonium to nitrate very quickly just don't add too much and make sure surface agitation is optimum so tank has a good [O2].

I’ve added about 500ml of additional Tropica to my established Juwel Lido 200 on a couple of occasions with no ill effects on fish or shrimp.

When starting a tank your filter has Zero bacteria in it relatively, so when you add ADA AS you get the Ammonium/Nitrite spike as the filter has no/very little capacity to handle it. Once a tank/filter has competed it initial cycle it ha a much greater capacity to handle the Ammonium, so IMO if you add a little at a time you should be fine as it will convert the Ammonium to nitrate very quickly just don't add too much and make sure surface agitation is optimum so tank has a good [O2].
What would you say it is a good portion if I may be as noob to ask :D

For a 180liter tank I would say 200 -300grams and you should be fine, as long as theirs plenty of growing plans with good flow and optimum [O2]. Their will always be a risk when adding it so slowly - slowly. If not happy with risk pop it n a bucket/spare tank with a filter on and wait 6 weeks no need for any WC's. Green machine use to run their tank for about 6 weeks in dark filters on and no WC's till ready to plant

As a bare minimum, you need to do the below before adding any aquasoil to a tank with livestock in.
Bless man :)

For a 180liter tank I would say 200 -300grams and you should be fine, as long as theirs plenty of growing plans with good flow and optimum [O2]. Their will always be a risk when adding it so slowly - slowly. If not happy with risk pop it n a bucket/spare tank with a filter on and wait 6 weeks no need for any WC's. Green machine use to run their tank for about 6 weeks in dark filters on and no WC's till ready to plant
Actually, I managed to get my cousin's 45l tank, so maybe I can use this for 6 weeks as you say above? It has its own filter :)

How did you measure/determine any ill effects?
Just by the absence of mortality or obvious behavioural changes (Amanos, bamboo shrimp, tetras, apistos and gouramis). Reading the above I might not do it again without soaking but I was unaware of possible ill effects. Nonetheless it’s a data point and the last top up was a couple of months ago. Now I know the risk they’ll probably all die overnight 😂

Just by the absence of mortality or obvious behavioural changes (Amanos, bamboo shrimp, tetras, apistos and gouramis).

To be fair my question was little rhetorical. Mortality is a pretty hard line test of success or failure - my point was we can't necessarily observe the the burning of the gill tissues as the fish breath ammonia laced water, or see their organ damage as it is absorbed into their bodies, and may not even be able to note the pain and distress this might cause unless their response is overt.

Reading the above I might not do it again without soaking but I was unaware of possible ill effects.

Given that even small amounts of ammonia are toxic, I think that's the best way forward for livestock welfare.👍

To be fair my question was little rhetorical. Mortality is a pretty hard line test of success or failure - my point was we can't necessarily observe the the burning of the gill tissues as the fish breath ammonia laced water, or see their organ damage as it is absorbed into their bodies, and may not even be able to note the pain and distress this might cause unless their response is overt.

Given that even small amounts of ammonia are toxic, I think that's the best way forward for livestock welfare.👍
Being a fisherman who eats some of his catch I know some distressed looks quite well 😂, honestly I think my aquarium buddies can stand a little stress in their otherwise pampered, predator-free lives but of course I woukd not inflict it intentionally 😀

Hey guys,
Another quick question, is it ok to add the new substrate to the old one if there are algae on it? Attached are pictures below :)

PS.: I am currently working very hard on cleaning the whole tank and make it great again :)
IMG_7823.JPG
IMG_7824.JPG

Back