• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

How can I move my tank to new house?

howanic

I am moving house and was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to move an established tank. Its not huge, only 60x30x45cm, but heavily planted. I figured that if I emptied the water and clingfilmed the top the plants would be fine, but I am worried about my pair of Rams. The journey to the new house is about 45min. I have been told that it would be ok to put the fish into bags for this, however the tank will have to be set up on arrival which could take ages :(

Any ideas of what to and what not to do would be hugely appreciated?

I was wondering if that would be possible. I thought the tank may crack, but if you have done it with a larger tank then great :D

If not get a food tub from Wilko's or somewhere they do them with a sealable lid for fresh veg (Potato's, onions Big stuff) more than enough room for the fish and water and to leave them in while you setup.

As to having them in bags I have transported many fish 45 mins in a rucksack on the back of the motorbike with no issues. then in to a large bucket at home for acclimatising then in to the tank. overall about 5-6 hours in smaller spaces.

In that case I think I'm probably just worrying for nothing. :oops:
I have some ember tetra in there too and they will be impossible to catch with all the plants etc. I think I will leave them in tank with a little water and hopefully all should be well.

I moved from Halifax to Cheltenham with my 180 litre tank, it was a right pain. It'd of been a pain if it was a shorter move. That's why I decided to sell it before I move again.
I drained the tank, removed the plants, bagged the fish. It was the fact that whilst everyone was sorting out my house I was doing my fish.

If I were to do this again with a tank bigger than 30 litres, I'd removed everything including the gravel and start a fresh in the new house. Get a small tank to keep the fish and filter going for a few days until you get chance to properly setup the tank, rather than rushing it.

I am only just getting my HC and Glosso to form a carpet after many failed attempts so don't fancy starting again. I hope it won't be so bad. Most of my other stuff is already there so it will just be the tank moved on saturday. Although I didn't realise how much equipment I have.

I've moved a few set-up tanks in my time, fully planted too, including a 216 litre complete with about 75Kg of rock and substrate.

I drain the water, catch the fish, then cover with tank with cling film to prevent plants from drying out.

Bag up or sealed-container/bucket the fish in old tank water.

In you new location, put the fish into a bucket or other suitable large container and connect your filter and heater if you're going to be more than a few hours. This will also help prevent excess filter bacteria dying off. Connecting heater maybe unecessary in warm weather.

Re-fill your tank with water, very slowly, and preferbly temp. adjusted and de-chlorinated.

Add the fish and some old tank water.

Good luck!

Moved the tank yesterday with mixed results.

The ember tetra were impossible to catch so I left them in the tank with 2/3 inches of water and cling filmed the top. Unfortunately I lost about 8 as they crammed themselves into the corners. :arghh: The survivors have taken until this afternoon to get back to normal, so things didn't go at all as well as I had hoped. I did however manage to remove the rams to a bucket with a lid, as Behold suggested and they have been fine and are feeding well. :clap:

Thank-you for all your advice guys. Much appreciated

The actual moving of the tank and equipment wasn't so bad, although I wouldn't have liked to have done it with a larger tank. I just wish that I had removed more of the hardscape and plants to get to the tetra. I just didn't want to disturb the scape too much, but I guess I've learnt my lesson

Too late now but, for future reference, you can often buy polystyrene lidded boxes from fish shops for a nominal sum (or sometimes they'll let you have them for free). Get lots of bags too. Bag up the fish, enclosing lots of air in the bag too, pop them in the box. Fill out any remaining space to ensure the bags stay upright. Some people pop some ammonia absorbing stuff (can't recall the name) in the bags too.

Once you've arrived at your new place, decant the bags in to the poly box, with the fish, add any extra water you've managed to save, set up a filter and heater (not allowing the heater to touch the polystyrene).

Whenever storing water for fish I always use food safe containers. Water carriers from camp shops are ideal and some equine shops sell large food safe plastic water carriers too.

Back