• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Delete Please, left the forum...

I don’t think it’s too close, bit I always thought heaters should be off vertical so that the rising heated water doesn’t effect the thermostat which sits at the top of the heater. I guess flow around the heater from the filter intake will counteract that.

So, considering the outlet pulling right next to the heating element, the spray bar spraying right towards the top of the heater where the thermostat is, and the high 11+ times turnover rate I think it's the best compromise considering. Do you agree?
Yes 👍

Hey guys, I am currently working on a build project(30cm Cube) and want to keep my in tank gear compact. My question is, how close can I mount a glass heater to a polymer intake? I have one mounted about an inch away from a pre-filter spounge in another tank and have had no issues but, can I go even closer then that? Would a half inch or so be pushing my luck? Here is the setup in question...
View attachment 199509
View attachment 199510
View attachment 199511
What ya think? Too close😁? Thanks guys👍.
That looks fine to me @FISHnLAB - especially since your going to have quite a bit of flow around it from the inlet and sprayer - I've had a very similar placement in the past when using canisters and much more powerful heaters.

Cheers,
Michael

Hi all,
Where did all of the people go?
Some to Facebook and some have left the hobby. I'd guess that forums have had their day and will eventually all wither on the vine.

I don't know what the half-life is of UKAPS members, but I'd guess we fall into three categories, people who join and pretty quickly decide UKAPS is not for them, people who post for a bit, but then decide they don't need us any more (or that the advice given is terrible) and people who join and stay active for an extended time period.

cheers Darrel

With this site having such low traffic I don't think it is worth the effort really unfortunately(I almost didn't even post these pics).
What’s the purpose of a journal? In my view it’s two fold: get input and advice from more experienced folk and share with less experienced folk. The will be many lurkers who, whilst not contributing, will read and learn from your journal.

I'd guess that forums have had their day and will eventually all wither on the vine.

I am not so entirely sure though that aquarium forums (or speciality forums in general) are withering - the good handfuls of fresh water aquarium forums that have survived the Facebook onslaught seems to stay pretty active still. My sense of this may just be because I am in the mist of it and maintain a good portion of childlike sense of wonder of what my fellow hobbyists are able to accomplish with their aquariums :)

UKAPS is by far the best forum out there. The signal to noise ratio is generally very high - of course, all due to the active members and how the forum is run. By maintaining that, I think UKAPS will have a good opportunity to continue to grow. Part of the problem might be that not many knows that UKAPS even exists in the first place. It seems UKAPS have a slow but steady stream of new members, but activity among new member (and many old) appears to be low unfortunately. Well, the only thing we can do as active members is to make sure no question or concern goes unattended and provide the best possible answers and encouragement based on knowledge and/or practical experiences - and not be afraid to miss the mark once in a while - we all do (except for Darrel of course :lol:).

What’s the purpose of a journal? In my view it’s two fold: get input and advice from more experienced folk and share with less experienced folk. The will be many lurkers who, whilst not contributing, will read and learn from your journal.
I totally agree with that @hypnogogia This is why I encouraged @FISHnLAB to put the latter part of the thread showcasing his excellent build into his Journal instead of adding it to the tail-end of a thread dealing with a specific question about placement of plastic tubes near the heater. The exposition of the build will easily get lost this way. Furthermore, Journals are a great place to ramble about topics that are not related to anyones specific questions, but just something thats on your mind that you think is worth sharing related to the hobby - you decide what is on topic and what is not - its your Journal! ... I will mostly be using my Journal for that. Yes, as you said, you will be surprised how many actually look and pick up ideas from journals even if they do not comment or otherwise engage.

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
As a forum user of only a couple of years standing I joined when I kicked off a new tank during lockdown. There seemed to be a lot of traffic then that has regrettably fallen away now… but there’s still a lot of expertise to tap into 👍😀

As a forum user of only a couple of years standing I joined when I kicked off a new tank during lockdown. There seemed to be a lot of traffic then that has regrettably fallen away now… but there’s still a lot of expertise to tap into 👍😀
That’s because folks had nothing better to do than look after their tank, sit in their garden and bbq. 😆

Last edited:
Back