• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

How do i add extra sand to an already planted tank?

First I would take the sand and rinse it very well in a bucket. Use a hose with water and keep sending the beam of water into the bottom of the bucket, pour off dirty water and repeat until sand is reasonably clean.
After that if you want to make sure you dont get any clouding in the tank you can fill a 1,5 liter soda bottle with sand and water, put this into the tank and then tip it upside down. The sand should gently pour out of the bottle with minimal disturbance. Most of the cloudy water should stay inside the bottle :thumbup:

First I would take the sand and rinse it very well in a bucket. Use a hose with water and keep sending the beam of water into the bottom of the bucket, pour off dirty water and repeat until sand is reasonably clean.
After that if you want to make sure you dont get any clouding in the tank you can fill a 1,5 liter soda bottle with sand and water, put this into the tank and then tip it upside down. The sand should gently pour out of the bottle with minimal disturbance. Most of the cloudy water should stay inside the bottle :thumbup:
Brilliant, thanks

I put dry unwashed sand in a small pop bottle 3/4 full. In the tank you want it in, put the bottle under water to fill to brim, no bubbles. Then tip the bottle up and pour the sand where you want it, quickly lifting the bottle out when the sand has gone and not letting the dirty water out in the tank. There are many videos demonstrating this on you tube. I have done this loads of times.

An acrylic tube long enough to go where you want it to, funnel at one end, and pour DRY washed sand in the funnel. If you do a 75% water change you can get away with just using a funnel :D ... Something I got from youtube :D

I put dry unwashed sand in a small pop bottle 3/4 full. In the tank you want it in, put the bottle under water to fill to brim, no bubbles. Then tip the bottle up and pour the sand where you want it, quickly lifting the bottle out when the sand has gone and not letting the dirty water out in the tank. There are many videos demonstrating this on you tube. I have done this loads of times.
Thats the method i eventually used, worked like a charm.

Back