How do I prune these??

Discussion in 'Plant Help' started by PM, 2 May 2008.

1. PM

PM Member

Hello all, this is my first post on here I believe, I have a 54L planted and I really need to prune my

Tropica Juncus repens

and

Tropica Rotala rotundifolia

Any tips? I have no idea how to treat these plants!!

2. nickyc

nickyc Member

Hello and welcome! :D

I found this article really useful http://www.ukaps.org/plant-maintenance.htm - it's worth having a look around the articles section on the main website - UKAPS members have written some great ones!

3. PM

PM Member

Hi, thanks, but I have already read that.

I was surprised that you have to uproot them to prune them (stem plants), but I'm still in the dark about how to treat these two plants, esp. the first.

My idea is that if I uproot them and cut the bottom off then replant, they will just grow upwards again, and if I just cut say half way, they will develop maybe two growths out of that cut - making it bushier?

Is this right?

I'd like to know what I'm doing before I attack another plant and ruin it :wideyed:

If you keep uprooting a plant, won't it eventually give up?

Also here's a pic of my tank, a mess ATM with green water but hey, I gotta UV sterilizer in the post!
    2459512294_44ba771327.jpg

PLEASE GIVE ME ADVICE ON PRUNING!!!

4. ceg4048

ceg4048 Expert/Global Moderator Staff Member

Hi,
    Yes, you might have missed the last paragraph in that section of the article which stated: "If you want your stem plants to branch out and fill a larger area then snip off the very top section and new growth will be diverted to side shoots further down the main stem. This is useful when propagating Ludwigia etc."

On reason for uprooting the based is that they can start to look ratty after a while so pulling them out and replanting gets rid of that ratty look. If the plants are at the back and/or if the bases are hidden it's not so critical. This is not as much a hard fast rule as it is for aesthetic reasons. You don't have to pull the bases but sometimes it's a good idea.

Plants have no genetic programming to "give up". Their programming is to produce food and to grow. Anyone who has a lawn or garden infiltrated with weeds is painfully aware of that. :wideyed: Would be nice in some cases though! :D

Cheers,

5. PM

PM Member

So, I just want them shorter as they are growing across the surface, so I should pull em out and chop the bottoms off then? :wideyed:

Also does anyone have experience with these two plants (above)? :?: :?:

6. ceg4048

ceg4048 Expert/Global Moderator Staff Member

Yes, just chop em up and re-plant how and where you wish. If your R. rotundfolia has already spread to the surface then you already have plenty experience to grow this successfully. Undemanding and pleasant. Depending on your taste it might be better to keep this one short and bushy otherwise it looks strung out. Prune frequently. Have never tried the juncus but am looking forward to giving it a go. It should be the same concept though. Prune to keep bushy and low. :D

Cheers,

7. Themuleous

Themuleous Member

Nice tank!

8. PM

PM Member