• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

How do I 'trim' Riccia?

Sandfire

Seedling
Hi guys

I have some Riccia growing on mesh which has suddenly start growing super fast its gone from a few mm to about 4 inches deep in just a few weeks.

To keep it looking more in perspective and also to propagate it should I trim it short with scissors or pull out the loose strands? How do I control it?

I used to pull mine, never actually cut it, but if yours is 4 inches thick it might not be in a good state at the bottom, as riccia tends to start melting when it doesn't get a lot of light. I used to create a carpet of riccia in my tank (check first photo of my journal) and used to take it apart and create it again every 5-6 weeks because of the riccia melt.

Trim it short with sharp scissors.

Eventually you will have to replant your mesh, but you should get a few trims out of it.

Glad to hear it's growing well!

Mark

vauxhallmark said:
Trim it short with sharp scissors.

Eventually you will have to replant your mesh, but you should get a few trims out of it.

Glad to hear it's growing well!

Mark

I cut is down last night and it was still pretty greenish on what was left, its started pearling again so I don't think I have killed it, I have saved the rest for replanting, does anyone know where I can buy some new mesh?

Thank you

Back