• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

How do you clean Filter media / canister filters after a BBA attack? :-/

Zak Rafik

Hi guys :)

OK, I was out this awesome hobby for some time (the reason is in one of my most read post:dead:).
The main reason I shut down the tank was due to a heavy attack of BBA and BGA.
Anyway, I shutdown my 4 feet tank about ten months back but now I'm all energized to restart my tank:cool:.

I have presently the below from my last setup:
1. Two kilos of biohome sintered glass media.
2. An Eheim 1200XL (2080).
3. A Teco brand chiller.
Have thrown away all forms of sponges / filter wools & ADA aquasoil:arghh:

After shutting down the tank, I took apart the Eheim 2080 and gave it a through wash.
As for the filter media I just rinsed it many times in running water, then had them air dried and stored in plastic bags.

For the chiller, I fixed a small pump and had tap water run through it for a hour or two.

Now that I'm restarting the tank, I took out all the hardware from my store and to my horror, the filter media and Eheim filter had this mildew smell.:eek:

The question is as follows:
1. How do I clean the filter media to get rid of the mildew spores and as well as any BBA spores.
(BTW can BBA spores survive in the filter media after 10 months of storage in dry state?):nailbiting:

2. How to give the Eheim filter a thorough wash to get rid of any mildew spore ( especially the insides of the filter where no brush can enter)

3. The same goes for the chiller ( which I guess have copper coil tubes for the water to pass for cooling purposes)

I know that the below chemicals can be used and I have easy access to all of them.
A. Normal household bleach.
B. Hydrogen Peroxide ( I have 3%, 6% and 19%)
C. Potassium permanganate.

Which of the above would be the most effective? How should the treatment be carried out and its duration?

Would appreciate fellow members' tips / experiences / feedback.
Cheers:)

Back