• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

How do you stop your fish jumping out?

gerlewis

Hey guys, as I'm going to be stocking in a week or so:

I currently have an open topped tank, and notice a lot of you must also as you have wood/plants sticking out the top. Do you normally stick a glass sheet on top, or leave it open and cross your fingers?

That also reminds me: My amazon sword has grown out of the top of the tank, Ive read up that you trim from the outside inwards - but I only want to trim the longest leaves, is that possible?

Ger

ive heard jumping can sometimes be down to poor water quality- so thats no1.
and then also you can make a perspex lid like aarons 216l tank only a really thin piece,
thirdly avoid fish that are known to jumping.. obviously
i think the people with open top tanks that cant put a lid on for reason of wood poking out just hope for the best
good luck

Hi Ger,

I have two open top tanks and dont really lose fish to jumping, but I think it really depends on which fish you get, some will jump some wont. We dont generally use a cover for aesthetic reasons as well a due to condensation and as you say some tanks have hardscape stick out above the water line so its not always even possible. Having a cover on a rimless tank is also tricky as there is little to rest it on apart from the edge of the tank.

You can easily remove just the longest leaves on the sword, but I would suggest you take the whole leaf rather than just trimming the top part off. This is easy to do by just running your finger down the leaf stem and when giving it a quick tug when you get to the bottom. If needs be you can hold the plant in place with the other fingers. Its normally very effective at taking single leaves off a rosette type plans, of which the sword is an example, even those in the centre of the rosette.

Sam

My tips:

1 - Water quality as said above

2 - Keep the water level lower. don't fill it up to 1cm of the top. They effectively can swim out then. lol

3 - Stop the little kids from playing noisily and moving suddenly in front of the tank because you don't notice the escapees that go behind the tank.

AC

Back