• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

How easy is a low-tech nano?

nry

Ok, I'm slowly toying with thoughts on the PFK cube stuck up on top of a wardrobe unused for months.

I don't want anything high maintenance which leaves low light (likely the original 11w) and minimal water changes if possible.

Can this size of tank survive with a water change every 3 or 4 weeks? What external filters are suitable without being too big? I have small HOB for the tank but in truth it is hardly worth having, the filter media space is negigible.

I think it's possible. Even if you have enough light, higher-tech plants tend to be easier to care for because you can just use Easy Carbo as a carbon supplement because the tank is so small. Even a weekly water change won't be that much effort surely, with it being such a small tank? If you want to go real low-tech, you could always use the smaller Crypt varieties anyway.

I'm beginning to think biotope at the moment - no idea where to start yet though! Probably with the fish and work around those.

I'll let you know. lol

My 10Ltr is going the no water change, once a week minimal NPK and no CO2 although it does have leonardite under the substrate to give some C. So far so good but its only 10 days or so old.

AC

nry said:
I'm beginning to think biotope at the moment - no idea where to start yet though! Probably with the fish and work around those.
Nice idea.

SE Asian is probably the most flexible for nanos with a huge variety of nano-friendly fish, inverts and plants.

I have a load of ready to use oak leaves if you need some. Drop me a PM.

I'll have a look into fish options, cheers, might well take you up on the oak leaves - my only 'issue' is the distinct lack of nano fish options around here, the ones that caught my eye were some lovely dwarf rainbows, but I can't recall the exact species - we now have a small Maidenhead Aquatics at a garden centre which has one or two smaller fish in.

Also best ask my wife first, I'd almost be tempted to splash on one of the new Fluval Edge aquariums as she loved them in our LFS last week :)

Back