• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

How I get a flow rate of roughly 15 L hr? - unusual application!

Andy3142

Seedling
I have an strange application - I need to make a "dummy person" in order to trap bed bugs. Bed bugs are attracted to CO2, so what you have to do is to have a trickle of CO2 flowing over some kind of bug trap (eg a glueboard) and they are attracted to the CO and get caught and DIE. You need roughly the amount of CO2 that a person breathes out, which is approx 15 L/hr. It only needs to be very approximate.

I'm new to CO2 and would love some advice how to do this. I've got as far as that you need a cylinder and a regulator - as I said, I'm new - but I don't know if a standard regulator will give such low flow reliably. I'm learning that aquariums use bubble flow devices. These clearly do provide fine and delicate control: but will they provide 15 L/hr? - that sounds a lot for an aquarium.
And, do they work without being under water? I guess they do, but only a guess.

Bedbugs are totally horrible and we've been strugging to get rid of them for 9 months and spent thousands on the job. Help would be greatly appreciated! (Please, not general advice on bedbugs, just help on CO2)

Very many thanks

Andy, Bristol

I don't think anyone could really ever condone use of this just in case anything went wrong mate, sorry. Hope you find another solution.

Are they attracted to co2 exhaled? If so wouldn’t sleeping in a wet suit covered or surrounded in a sticky solution have the same effect?
Either way hope you get it sorted as a friend of mine was infested and it wasn’t pleasant.

@Andy3142 - The regulator would work just the same out of the water. You could maybe attach the CO2 line to a large syringe (~500ml) and aim to fill the syringe up in 2 mins?

I have to ask though at the thought of this rather elaborate plan, and the money you've already spent, does one not simply buy a new bed if it is this hard to shift them?

Back