• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

How is the weather in the UK?

GreenNeedle

I just ask because Im the traditional british lobster red at the moment. The temp yesterday was 29ºC when we were at LondonDragons fav beach (Portinho) for 3 hours.

Supposed to be 26ºC today according to BBCs website but feels much hotter as at the time of writing this post.

Not done a lot yet. just visiting the wifes relatives as per usual but planning to see if the zoo at Lisbon has finished "rebuilding" during the week. was a right mess last year when we went for the first time. Then will have a walk round Lisbon to see what bargains I can find before having a nice meal at my favourite Belem cafe bar.

Will go to Setubal another day (5 miles from where we are staying) have a look round before heading over the river to Troia. London will tell you that this is a beach that is possible 10 miles+ long. Looks out to the Atlantic. White Sand and more importantly most of it is nearly alway empty.

Back on Tuesday when the black corys are supposed to be arriving. Oh happy days. lol

AC

Hows the weather?...... raining in Dav! :rolleyes:

have a gooden :D

I forgot to add that the Festas da vindhimas (moscatel wine harvest festival) starts on Thursday so I shall be very drunk from then until Sunday night. lol (goes on until tuesday night but we fly back monday afternoon)

AC

You lucky bugger!!! Wish I was in Portinhos and not stuck at the office in rainny London!!!
Lisbons zoo is pretty good, was there 3 or 4 years ago and it was brilliant, although I am not a big fan of zoos, rather see the animals in the wild specially birds, hate seeing birds in cages. If you haven't already Oceanario is a must ;)

Looks like you will be having fun at the festival das vindimas ;) when I lived in portugal we used to make our own wine too, was great fun picking the grapes and making the wine, and then we used to bottle about 1000 bottles every year, and I don't drink the stuff!! lol

Have fun and enjoy the sun, cause here you won't get any ;)

No, not really. Summer isn't officially over until the arrival of the Autumnal Equinox currently scheduled for 22 Sept at about 3:30PM. So three weeks more to enjoy mate... :D

Cheers,

We enjoyed the zoo last year. A little like the UK zoos used to be before they made them look more like the natural habitats. a lot of concrete etc. Was a lot of construction going on though. I think they were modernising it at the time.

Went to the Oceanarium the last 2 years as well. Great place. I always end up slating the Deep as I compare it to Lisbons Oceanarium and also compare the prices!!!! As expected Value for money here far surpasses that of the UK.

This was me and my son there in 2006 (He is 1½ years old here)
PHOT0038.jpg

(p.s. I havent brought my PC with me. I copied this pic off another post)

So much for 26ºC on the BBC website!!! The digital thermometer on the top of one of Lisbons building was reading 29ºC when we went past at 2pm. We then went to Freeport to get some cheap burberry and Boss gear. lol

One good thing of having children with black genes is that if the sun is on them for a few seconds they turn instantly half-cast. They are now looking decidedly mediterranean whereas I am looking decidedly.....red. I am so jealous. lol

Bring on the drunken stupours to let me drown my sorrows.

AC

aaronnorth said:
ceg4048 said:
No, not really. Summer isn't officially over until the arrival of the Autumnal Equinox currently scheduled for 22 Sept at about 3:30PM. So three weeks more to enjoy mate... :D

Cheers,

i was reading on yahoo that it was over??

No mate, Yahoo does not govern the Solar System...yet. The seasons are governed by the two Solstices (Summer-June 21/22 and Winter-December 21/22) and the two Equinoxes (Vernal-March 21/22 and Autumnal-September 21/22) These are specific points on the orbit around the sun as well as the shifting of the planet's tilt axis. Yahoo haven't figured that out I guess. When they do, watch out - end of life as we know it...:rolleyes:

Cheers,

aaronnorth said:
i was reading on yahoo that it was over??

bless ya aaron,

i remember saying once to a young lady " i worshiped the sun" meaning i enjoyed sunbathing, do things in the sun. she genuinely thought i "worshipped the sun " like it was a god or something. bless her too. :D

There are a number of different definitions of when the seasons start and end. The meteorological based on temperatures around the starts of the months, astronomical one based on equinoxes and a traditional one in certain countries based on the day length. You pays your money you takes your choice!

I like the fact that we are arguing the exact date when summer finishes. I know the answer to this - Aug 2006. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Stay where you are SuperColey1 - it's grim in the UK :(

Ed Seeley said:
There are a number of different definitions of when the seasons start and end. The meteorological based on temperatures around the starts of the months, astronomical one based on equinoxes and a traditional one in certain countries based on the day length. You pays your money you takes your choice!

I guess different cultures can choose to celebrate or even define their seasons based on whatever parameters they feel convenient, however, all of these physical factors such as temperatures, weather, day lengths and so forth are fundamentally determined by the mathematical equations governing the mechanics of planetary motion. Due to loss of angular momentum the spinning planet exhibits "Precession" in the same way that a spinning top starts to wobble as it slows. North and South Poles therefore point either away from, or towards the Sun at various angles during the wobble. The maximum angle towards the Sun is about 23 degrees from the "vertical". This happens once a year for each Pole. When the North Pole points towards the Sun at this maximum angle the effect is the longest day of the year in the Northern Hemisphere. This is called the Summer Solstice. When the North Pole points away from the Sun at the maximum angle this is called the Winter Solstice and the effect on the planet is that this is the shortest day in the Northern Hemisphere. At two other time in the year the Poles are in exactly the "vertical" position and the effect is that the lengths of the day and night are exactly equal at the Equator. As a result of this equality these two point are called the Equinoxes. The Vernal Equinox occurs as the North Pole wobble is heading towards the Sun and the Autumnal Equinox occurs when the North Pole wobble is headed away from the sun.

As a direct result of Precession therefore, all other planetary effects are generated. Maximum heating and maximum photosynthesis potential occur at the Summer Solstice and plants respond to the daylight changes in complete synchronicity with this Precession. On 21 September Plants in the Northern Hemisphere will sense that the day/night lengths ratios and this will have a strong influence on the triggering of their preparation for winter. In the Southern Hemisphere the opposite will be true.

To base the seasonal definition on anything else would be arbitrary and unreal. Just as the tides are governed by the mechanics of motion of the Moon, and Day/Night is governed by mechanical rotational speed of the planet so too the seasons are governed by Earth's mechanical Precession.

Cheers,

Dear me, its all got a little serious. Raining here today anyway. Still warm though :)

Oceanario was good yesterday and got loadsa pics. will have to see how many are useable when I get back and take a better look. Much better than the first time with the cheapo vivitar that didnt recognise anything unless it was bathed in sunlight. lol.

5 days to go and then back to the UK to wait for my new corys. yippee.

Oh and to set about maintenance of the tank (CO2 is off. dosing is nill and light is 8 hours @ 0.9WPG) fish are being fed once daily by housesitter though.

AC

SuperColey1 said:
Are you on holiday in Venice Zig :)
hehehe thats a great photo ;) heard the weather in Lisbon is not so good today! I just got home drenched, its pouring down like crazy this evenning :(

Back