How long can they last?

Discussion in 'Plant Help' started by Murphy-18, 20 Apr 2009.

1. Murphy-18

Murphy-18 Member

How long can plants last out of water, but still wet. And do they need to be in a bag with oxygen?

One more question, I have some S.Subulata and some E.Tenellus. I was wondering if i was to keep them in an area in my tank sectioned of with small pebbles, would this stop them from spreading like crazy, because they are pretty fond of doing so. Maybe dig the pebbles quite deep into the substrate? or would the roots still geow underneath them. My sand is 2-3'' deep.

Help appreciated. :D

2. aaronnorth

aaronnorth Member

as long as they are moist they can last a few days. No oxygen required.

With the roots, you could try getting a plastic tub and cutting some strips off it to place in the substrate.

3. a1Matt

a1Matt Member

Nice one Aaron, and the long winded answer is!....

They do not mind beng out of water, as long as you keep spraying them with a mister to keep them damp (a quick spray every 10 min or so) and they will be fine.

Some plants are better at 'travelling' than others. Moss will look fine after a week. SOme dleicate carpeting plants would be mush after that time. A rule of thumb I go by try not to leave them in a bag for more than 48 hours. Just 'air' is good. no need for pumping gas in (they breathe CO2 anyway so Oxygen would be bad!)

Nice idea. form experience a 3inch high bit of driftwood stopped my dwarf sag. So it went under it instead and came out the other side. It stopped 90% of the runners though. To catch them all I suspect you would need a divder that goes all the way to the base of the tank.

Hope that helps!

I reckon the runner will just creep right over the top of pebbles! If it was a

4. Murphy-18

Murphy-18 Member

Can you be a bit more specific what you mean about the plastic tub thing? Do you mean just dig in the sand so its touching the base of the tank acting as a barrier?

Thanks for the help folks.

5. aaronnorth

aaronnorth Member

If you cut a strip, then bury it as far as it will go so that it touches the base, that will prevent any tiny gaps being available to the roots, using pebbles would work, but you may get the sneaky root poking through.

6. Murphy-18

Murphy-18 Member

Ah, i see. I may go with the pebble method as it wil be decorative, and then maybe put some plastic either side of the pebbles as an extra barrier :D

Cheers

7. aaronnorth

aaronnorth Member

you can cover the platic in the substrate, you wont notice it then!

8. Murphy-18

Murphy-18 Member

Ahhhh, good thinking Batman :lol:

Cheers :D

9. Simon D

Simon D Member

Or cover the plastic with pebbles to create a distinctive and possible natural looking divide between the two sides?