• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
  • You can now follow UKAPS on Instagram.

How long can they last?

Murphy-18

Member
Joined
4 Jan 2009
Messages
86
How long can plants last out of water, but still wet. And do they need to be in a bag with oxygen?

One more question, I have some S.Subulata and some E.Tenellus. I was wondering if i was to keep them in an area in my tank sectioned of with small pebbles, would this stop them from spreading like crazy, because they are pretty fond of doing so. Maybe dig the pebbles quite deep into the substrate? or would the roots still geow underneath them. My sand is 2-3'' deep.

Help appreciated. :D
 

a1Matt

Member
Joined
10 Mar 2008
Messages
2,497
Location
Bromley
Nice one Aaron, and the long winded answer is!....


Murphy-18 said:
How long can plants last out of water, but still wet.

They do not mind beng out of water, as long as you keep spraying them with a mister to keep them damp (a quick spray every 10 min or so) and they will be fine.

Murphy-18 said:
And do they need to be in a bag with oxygen?

Some plants are better at 'travelling' than others. Moss will look fine after a week. SOme dleicate carpeting plants would be mush after that time. A rule of thumb I go by try not to leave them in a bag for more than 48 hours. Just 'air' is good. no need for pumping gas in (they breathe CO2 anyway so Oxygen would be bad!)

Murphy-18 said:
One more question, I have some S.Subulata and some E.Tenellus. I was wondering if i was to keep them in an area in my tank sectioned of with small pebbles, would this stop them from spreading like crazy, because they are pretty fond of doing so. Maybe dig the pebbles quite deep into the substrate? or would the roots still geow underneath them. My sand is 2-3'' deep.

Nice idea. form experience a 3inch high bit of driftwood stopped my dwarf sag. So it went under it instead and came out the other side. It stopped 90% of the runners though. To catch them all I suspect you would need a divder that goes all the way to the base of the tank.

Hope that helps!

I reckon the runner will just creep right over the top of pebbles! If it was a
 

Murphy-18

Member
Thread starter
Joined
4 Jan 2009
Messages
86
aaronnorth said:
as long as they are moist they can last a few days. No oxygen required.

With the roots, you could try getting a plastic tub and cutting some strips off it to place in the substrate.

Can you be a bit more specific what you mean about the plastic tub thing? Do you mean just dig in the sand so its touching the base of the tank acting as a barrier?

Thanks for the help folks.
 

Murphy-18

Member
Thread starter
Joined
4 Jan 2009
Messages
86
Ah, i see. I may go with the pebble method as it wil be decorative, and then maybe put some plastic either side of the pebbles as an extra barrier :D

Cheers
 

Murphy-18

Member
Thread starter
Joined
4 Jan 2009
Messages
86
aaronnorth said:
Murphy-18 said:
Ah, i see. I may go with the pebble method as it wil be decorative, and then maybe put some plastic either side of the pebbles as an extra barrier :D

Cheers

you can cover the platic in the substrate, you wont notice it then!

Ahhhh, good thinking Batman :lol:

Cheers :D
 

Simon D

Member
Joined
22 Sep 2008
Messages
460
Location
Leicestershire
Murphy-18 said:
aaronnorth said:
Murphy-18 said:
Ah, i see. I may go with the pebble method as it wil be decorative, and then maybe put some plastic either side of the pebbles as an extra barrier :D

Cheers

you can cover the platic in the substrate, you wont notice it then!

Ahhhh, good thinking Batman :lol:

Cheers :D

Or cover the plastic with pebbles to create a distinctive and possible natural looking divide between the two sides?
 
Top