• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

How long CO2 canister should last, bps based?

That sounds about right to me.

glenn said:
Superman said:
I found a local fire safety place that supplies them to me.
Lucky! :p
I would of thought most would do it as it's £££s for them and regular income. Although the bloke did look at me funny when I said I was using it for an aquarium but then understood why. I just get them for "non extinguishing use".

Fire extinguichers here costs around 300 CHF (173 GBP) :wideyed:

I found industrial CO2 providers that can loan the canisters and filling is in the range you have in UK.

There are many CO2 grades though, depending on impurities. They range from 99.9999%, 99.95% and 99.7% purity. Impurities are mainly H2O, N2O and CnHm

What kind of CO2 should I go with? Food quality or industrial quality?. Those N2O and CnHm, could cause problems to fish, my lungs and those of my 3 years old sun?

jonny_ftm said:
Fire extinguichers here costs around 300 CHF (173 GBP) :wideyed:

I found industrial CO2 providers that can loan the canisters and filling is in the range you have in UK.

There are many CO2 grades though, depending on impurities. They range from 99.9999%, 99.95% and 99.7% purity. Impurities are mainly H2O, N2O and CnHm

What kind of CO2 should I go with? Food quality or industrial quality?. Those N2O and CnHm, could cause problems to fish, my lungs and those of my 3 years old sun?
Let me get this straight; You're actually worried about minute quantities of Nitrous Oxide entering your tank and your living room? What do the dentists in Switzerland use for anaesthetic? I mean, as far as I can see, your fish might die of laughter but that's about it - and you'd have to dump a whole lotta bottles in there so they'd die of CO2 poisoning way before dying of laughing gas, that's for sure. And then the hydrocarbons aren't even defined in your report. It just states the generic CnHm, so that could be Methane or Butane (i.e. the same stuff you cook with) or diesel fuel or paraffin wax or a million other hydrocarbon based materials, again, at infinitesimal levels. What do you think you're breathing when you go outside to the supermarket and when that car passes by? :rolleyes:

If I were you I'd just get the cheapest source of CO2 I could. It's not going to make one hill of beans difference to your health - and you could use the money saved to buy some schnapps. :idea:

Cheers,

ceg4048 said:
If I were you I'd just get the cheapest source of CO2 I could. It's not going to make one hill of beans difference to your health - and you could use the money saved to buy some schnapps. :idea:
Cheers,

:thumbup:

Thank you very much. Car gas comparision made the rationale in my mind. I'll go with cheapest source of CO2

By the way, I saw I have a Dennerle bubble counter laying around. It mentions the bubble size in ml and mg of CO2, so easy to estimate CO2 use and compare the deviation. I'll install it in few weeks and feedback in time

Thank you again

Back