• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

How long does it take for co2 to build up in tank using DIY

julioarca

Seedling
I have a Redsea with venturi pump, DIY mix, small bubble constantly. How long would it take to build up the co2 to too much so the fish are ill? Juwel 180L

I left mine on all night and in the morning the fish were gasping and looking sick. Once aerated then remain fine and also fine during the day if co2 pump left on.

Might I be better switching co2 pump off during night and just leave the odd, say twice a minute large bubble to plop out.

Just thought, wow tank has soon filled up with co2 overnight.

thanks

David

The fact that you have DIY CO2 rather than pressurised only mean you have less (well almost no) control over the CO2 levels. To be honest you are doing well to get your CO2 levels up that high with DIY CO2! You're idea of turning the pump off overnight should work as the CO2 will not disperse properly in large bubbles. Maybe next time you need to reduce the amount of yeast in your mix next time to get longer, more consistent CO2 levels?

It also depends on stocking levels and how heavily planted the tank is.

It's possible for fish to be gasping by morning without any CO2 injection if there are lots of fish and plants using up the oxygen overnight.

Back