• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

How Long Will Shrimp Survive in post?

I like to use the full leaves in my tanks. I boil them first to remove any nasties and sterilise before adding to my tanks. Once the leaves have been in for a week or so, the biofilm growth on them is great and the shrimplets in particular love grazing them. As the leaves continue to soften the shrimp then start to eat the leaf itself. Highly recommend them and I have them in all of my shrimp tanks. That and pelia I rate very highly in shrimp tanks.

AverageWhiteBloke said:
Ahh, a bit like blackwater extract I get it. May be a stupid question but what if I was just to dip a tea bag in there for a while until some colour came running out then took it out?

Black water extract is made from almond / catappa leaf. You can also use catappa bark for a more concentrated solution. Not sure tea would have the same effect, but you could experiment I suppose :)

Are we talking about the same thing here when you say tea bags? The same ones to make a cuppa with or are you on about putting the leaves in a fine mesh bag? I was nearly having a brew with my shrimp there :)
Ill have a look on eBay. I used to use blackwater extract on some tanks with softwater loving species in. Filtering over peat also has a similar antiseptic effect but sometimes can be hard to control in a small volume tank. Good for preventing eggs from fungusing. I think I've also heard somewhere along the lines about using oak leaves that have been dried out in the oven for adding tannin and a slight browning of the water for acidophiles.

No bud, not talking PG here! You can get the catappa in tea bags. Personally I like the other benefits from adding a whole leaf. I also use banana leaves as these have same effect as almond but without the yellow staining of the water. Lots on eBay very cheap too!

Lol yeah just realised looking at them now on eBay. There was a mention of tea bags and after all the diy stuff I read in this forum I assumed it was another cheaper alternative :) yeah I think ill get some of those leaves, I could do with some moss as welll aquatic magic have Catappa leaf is that the right stuff? Maybe some xmas moss as well.
You know what I have a 30 gall high tech on the go but I have more enjoyment with my little shrimp tank! No algae and water changes are no hassle.
I was watching fish tank kings the other night and on there was a quarantine tank with small tanks offset I think I might have a shot at making a cabinet that holds three small tanks off set at different levels. Hmmm

Right then shrimp, do you want milk and sugar with that ;)

Plenty of uk sellers on there too, I think those guys are in Asia? Winezita1971 very good and she does moss too :)

Checked out Winezita1971 they have some good stuff on there will be ordering some leaves and moss. Some good news on the shrimp front, got back after working away for four days to give them a good feed and just happened to notice something flying past in the flow and thought it looked like it was wriggling. Closer inspection the tanks full of young uns :thumbup: Break out the cigars :)

Congrats on the babies - most satisfying and true testament that you got the tank right!

Also a good idea to get some shrimplet (baby shrimp) food. Looks like dust, but when added to the tank you can be sure that the shrimplets are finding it. Really does improve survival rate of young shrimp, and a pack lasts for ages and ages! :)

I will do mate where's best place to get it? The majority of the babies seem to all be on the white rock cleaning that up with a few on the glass. I noticed last night there were 2 or 3 on a little piece of algae wafer I put in for the grown ups so they already recognise some grub. Probably just imitating the older ones.

Loads on eBay too - take your pick but I've used mosura and also genchem. Both very good, genchem a little cheaper though :)

My bambinos, you can just about make them out with my shaky mobile.

Thanks for sharing. 2 berried and another with saddle - looks like you'll have more shrimplets in the next few weeks!

Out of the original 10 I bought I have only counted 7 visible at one time, that's not to say there may be a couple I can't see. At least 4 of them seem to be berried females at the minute. What's with saddle?

The saddle are the eggs, but in the unfertilised state. When she next moults she will likely mate, the fertilised eggs then drop to the undercarriage area which is when they are considered berried. Approx 4 weeks from first berried to blast off with new shrimplets :)

Ahh cool, I'm surprised you can make that out from the video. :wideyed:

AverageWhiteBloke said:
Ahh cool, I'm surprised you can make that out from the video. :wideyed:

The yellow / green triangle directly behind the neck of the shrimp is the egg saddle. Quite visible and varies from blue/green in colour to yellow/orange in cherries. A water change usually encourages a moult which in turn means sexy time for the shrimp. You can normally see when a female has moulted and is ready when you see the males frantically swimming / whirling around the tank.......love sick male shrimp lookin for the same girl!!!

I was just doing some research on ppm hardness for shrimp and came across people using oak leaves in the tank. Do they do the same thing as tea leaves and if so what would you need to do to them before putting them in the tank? There should be a few leaves about now would be cool to make some use of them.

After searching the board I came across this handy page on leaves courtesy of Garuf. Seems there are a few indigenous species that can be used. Has anybody had any experience with the types of tree mentioned?

Back