• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

how long without co2?

soton_dave

my FE has all but run out,think i may get through today but then im sure it'll be empty :(
my new 5kg FE will be here tuesday so im going to be without co2 for 2 days maybe 3 if i dont get time to set up the new FE on tuesday.(i ordered it monday but the bloke said he's been ill so cant post till this coming monday :( )
will the tank be ok for this time?should i carry on adding 10mil tpn+ a day or not once the co2 has gone?should i reduce the photo period?,running 104w 10hrs at the mo

am i worrying about nothing?ive got a little easy carbo left that i could dose for the days between if this would help.

any advice?

cheers dave

I'm in the same situation, although I can't believe my cylinder is still going, its showing 0 on the regulator and still putting gas out.

Can't order a new cylinder cos the bank went and put a block on my card for no reason (or that they'll tell me) and they had to order me a new card. Tried using the new card and end up blocking that one, phoned up to find out what was going on and was told that they had ordered a new pin number as well hopefully that will turn up today.

I'd turn half the lights off. run at 50w not 100w.
Less light, will mean less demand for carbon for the plants.
Cutting the duration will probably help as well.

You could cut the ferts, but I wouldn't.

I'd dose the easycarbo.

If your tank is in good condition then you will be fine :)

Squiggley - that sucks about your card. Hope you get it sorted soon.

Personally, I would leave the lights off until you get the new cylinder. I have been in this situation more than once. One of these days I`ll actually get a spare.

Dave.

no lights it is then,should i still feed the fish as normal and dose tpn+ even tho the lights wont be on?the tank is in my dining room and does receive some natural light not direct sun light but light none the less.
i may dose easy-carbo even though the lights wont be on just to be on the safe side but any advice on the tpn and feeding?

cheers dave

Yeah the plants can still uptake nutrients in the dark. You can still feed. I wouldn't really worry too much about the ambient light. This is just like a typical blackout, except easier - no duct tape or bin liners. I'm not even sure it's necessary to dose the liquid carbon with the lights off.

Cheers,

i'll just carry on with the tpn+ and dose easy-carbo as well only really because ive got some in the cabinet doing nothing and cant see it doing any harm.

should i still do a water change tommorow?or could this cause me problems.

sorry about all the questions just dont want the tank to take a nose dive now that it seems stable.

cheers dave

mine was fine for 2 weeks without CO2 but i only run medium light so nothing drastic went wrong.

although i did use easy carbo i stopped when i killed 15 large shrimp, about 50 small and 2 rummienose. :arghh:

Back