• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

How many fish can I buy at the same time?

Christoffer

Seedling
So i have a long way to the fish shop, I want to buy as many as possible at the same time, can I buy 4 Amano Shrimp, 1 Honey gourami, 4 Panda Corys, and put them in my 50 liters quarantine tank I do have a lot of bio Media in the quarantine tank like 1 liter, I'm just worrying about ammonia spice, how many would you recommend I buy at the same time?

Is the filter cycled or do you have a main tank with fish already? If so transferring media across from your main tank will help. Generally though, that wouldn't be an unreasonable amount to put in quarantine at once.

Hi all,
an I buy 4 Amano Shrimp, 1 Honey gourami, 4 Panda Corys, and put them in my 50 liters quarantine tank I do have a lot of bio Media in the quarantine tank like 1 liter, I'm just worrying about ammonia spice, how many would you recommend I buy at the same time?
Agree with @tam.

Does your quarantine tank have a light, if it does? Adding floating plants will both, help the livestock to feel less stressed (by blocking line of sight from above), and massively help with biological filtration.

cheers Darrel

Is the filter cycled or do you have a main tank with fish already? If so transferring media across from your main tank will help. Generally though, that wouldn't be an unreasonable amount to put in quarantine at once.
Hi all, Agree with @tam.

Does your quarantine tank have a light, if it does? Adding floating plants will both, help the livestock to feel less stressed (by blocking line of sight from above), and massively help with biological filtration.

cheers Darrel

Yes it has cycled I took Media from my main tank and put in the filter in my quarantine tank.
I do have a light I don't have any plans floating plants.
We are she just put 5 Panda Corys in, would that be ok?

If the filter is cycled you can basically put in what you'd be comfortable putting in a new 50L tank normally. So 5 corys etc. would be fine. I agree - plants are great for giving the fish a bit of cover to minimise stress. You can just take cuttings from your main tank - if you've stems they'll usually happily float if you don't have substrate to anchor them, or you can reuse one of the pots they sell them in to make a planter.

Okay thanks for the answers, will plastic plants not to better than real plants, if i have to put medicine in the tank?

Okay thanks for the answers, will plastic plants not to better than real plants, if i have to put medicine in the tank?

Most meds don't effect plants - my thought process is I generally use cuttings/spare plants and if something terrible happened and all the fish in quarantine were wiped out then I could dispose of the plants too. If the fish make it through quarantine to the point I'm happy to put them in my main tank, I'd happily move the plants too (if I wanted too). Plastic ones work too and you can disinfect them... but they don't look as nice or have the benefits to water quality.... although they do provide better cover than a bare tank. There's no really a wrong way of doing it, it is a planted tank forum though so you'll find most of us biased towards having live plants everywhere :)

Hi all,
will plastic plants not to better than real plants
I agree with @tam again, something to give them a bit of cover is a help.

In terms of plastic plants offering any advantage over real ones, the answer is "no definitely not, ever".

Growing plants aren't decoration, they are the single most important factor in biological filtration. Plastic plants can't add oxygen and they don't remove ammonia etc.

cheers Darrel

Well my tank dont have any plans I can cut from, because I just planted them and most of it is Christmas moss, but I maybe I will buy some plants instead off plastic, what plants do you recommend i found one floating plant in the shops website
Salvinia auriculata
Is that good?

Here is my tank

Attachments

• IMG_20200124_123039.jpg
    IMG_20200124_123039.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 153
I just put one of my guppys in, my quarantine tank but is just going crazy swimming around fast, I did use vinegar to clean it from calcium but I rinse it off once, I have made 2 * 50% water change, and I have tested the water and it looks fine the pH nitrate anorak nitrit looks normal, is this normal behavior when it's transferred to a new aquarium?

Here is a video of it

He looks distressed, in a strange place, with no shelter, no friends, and a reflective tank floor. He needs to go back to his own tank ASAP.
Your quarantine tank needs some plants and at least a little sand on the floor. Those pipes are only shelter for fish that use caves.
hth

He looks distressed, in a strange place, with no shelter, no friends, and a reflective tank floor. He needs to go back to his own tank ASAP.
Your quarantine tank needs some plants and at least a little sand on the floor. Those pipes are only shelter for fish that use caves.
hth
The problem is it's being chased in the main tank and I just have it there temporary in the quantity tank till I get to the store and return him I don't want to give him away but I don't think I can give him a good life in my main tank and apparently not in my quarantine tank, I think it would go to the store tomorrow if I can find someone to drive me :/

Hi all,
He looks distressed, in a strange place, with no shelter.....He needs to go back to his own tank ASAP. Your quarantine tank needs some plants and at least a little sand on the floor
That one.
and a reflective tank floor.
My guess is that is a lot of the issue with your male guppy.
My rationale is that I wouldn't keep a fish I already owned in a bare tank, so why would I put a new, stressed fish in a bare tank with no plants or overhead cover etc just so I could keep an eye on it? I want to give it the best chance, and the best chance is in a fully established tank with plenty of live food etc.
Have a look at <"Quarantine procedure. Thoughts">.

cheers Darrel

What about the sides and back, should i put a background to stop the reflective there?
Olso i know Honey gourami needs densely planted tank, is my main tank good enough for them, ore do i need more plants ?

Attachments

• IMG_20200124_123039.jpg
    IMG_20200124_123039.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 137
Okay i just Finish my quarantine tank.
I have put 1 kilo off biohome ultimate in my filter from my main tank.
But I don't think it will cycle yet, today at tested to be 0,25 Anumoark, and they were stressed because of that, so I have made a water change and that helped.
Should I make a water change every day?

IMG_20200209_152558.jpg IMG_20200209_152601.jpg IMG_20200209_152604.jpg

Back