• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

How many Neritina turrita in a 30 cm cube?

Ags11

I have an algae outbreak at the back of my tank by the sponge filter that is spreading to my Vallisneria. I am thinking of getting two Neritina turrita to help out. The tank is 26 liters and they would share the space with 5 celestial pearl danios. I am not planning on adding any livestock after this.

. 4E7C56C6-9B21-4089-AFA5-D48EBCAB8334.jpeg

or would a pair of Clithon (horned nerite) be a better choice?

Last edited:
Really depends on the algae you have, but a minute amount isn’t a reason to get a couple snails. Say they get rid of it, now you need to make sure they have something to feed off of to stay nourished. Let us know what algae you have so we can determine why you are getting it in the first place.

I reckon get em. If they eat all the algae, then you can easily grow some by either increasing light slightly or just growing it in a container and adding it to tank.

Or just feed em wafers or similar.

Nerites are cool. Do you have red racer nerite types where you live?
v48WT0W.jpg

@Mr.Shenanagins it is brown slime up the back of the tank and likewise a thin dark brown layer on the Vals. It only seems to affect the parts of the tank with the strongest light, although the problem is spreading to all the Vals now.. I suspect that my light (1330 lumens) is too strong for the tank at 50 lumens per liter. Most of the light is taken by the surface plants but they don't cover the area near the bubbler. The other possibility is the fertilizer dosing. I am currently giving one squirt of tropica premium per week.

I have been thinking of adding snails anyway, so they are not just for algae control.

@rebel awesome snails! Unfortunately most snails seem out of stock in this country at the moment. I have gotten the standard stripy ones.

1602574507907.png

Last edited:
I added the two snails yesterday, but one has disappeared and the other has positioned itself under some driftwood and hardly moves. They smelled ok before I put them in. I was expecting more fireworks...

EDIT: One of them has come out now and is cleaning the glass after the weekly water change.

Last edited:
Back