• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

How many plants should i get????

lindacoates80

Seedling
I have got a Juwel Rio 240 litre tank which i am going down the planted route, i've had fish for a number of years but could never get plants to grow, until now. I have stripped out the tank its totally bare just now and have 6 bags of eco complete waiting to go in along with the Jbl m603 pressured co2 kit. My lights are the Arcadia ot2 overtank luminaire 4 x 54watt bulbs. Im wanting to base my tank on South American plants and fish and have a shortlist of suitable plants. Im just not sure on quantities ill need to buy. I am thinking about the tropica potted ones I have already got some amazon swords, lilaeopsis brasiliensis , eleocharis and some others. Its just basically how many i should be buying is there a rule of thumb or just get a good mixture. Tropica website has recommended about 26 different varieties. so theres plenty for me to choose from. Any help would be very much appreciated. I quite like the jungly look!

The more the better, as a gauge my 60x30x30 cm took 25 tanks and I could have easily found room to fit in another 5 or so pots of crypts. Generally big plants you will need more pots than smaller plants. I don't know the dimensions of your tank but I'm guessing it's probably going to be double what mine was.

I shudder to suggest you may need anything in excess of 50 pots. I hope you're rich lol.

200 watt T5 luminary over a 60 gallon tank is a lot. I hope you have plenty of CO2. Also you'll probably need at least one more of those filters...

Cheers,

Hi Linda and welcome to UKAPS!

My advice would be to get as many plants as you can afford. They won't be cheap if you go for premium pots, but you are guaranteed quality. Large budget mail-order collections are popular, but it can be hit and miss with regards plant health and adaptability.

The species choice depends on the aquascape and layout you want. Fewer species suit a cleaner looking composition, where more emphasis is usually placed on hardscape (decor such as wood and rocks).

Lots of species can look great too, and more 'jungle' style.

For newcomers going for lots of species is appealing so you can experiment with what you like and what grows best for you.

Consider only running 2 x 54w for at least the first 4 weeks. 6-8 hour photoperiod is plenty. You don't need more light than this to grow plants in your set-up and algae will be less of a risk, as Clive has hinted at.

Good luck!

Back