• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

how many shrimp for 8gallon?

AdAndrews

How many shrimp will be adequete for an 8gallon tank? i dont want algae(obviously) but at the same time i dont want to starve the poor little things.

thanks

What shrimp are we taking about here?

LondonDragon, myself, and plenty of others have kept 300+ cherry shrimp in 15gal shrimp-only tanks with great success.

Start off small and if they're happy, they'll breed.

well, this is my dilema- i have about 3 tiger shrimp that will go in regardless, and then depending on whether you guys think i will only need a few more(up to 7 more) i will get some crystal reds.. but if you recommend alot, then i mayaswell get the 20 cherrys off LD for £23 and then add my 3 tigers

Adam

I'd make sure the tank is well established before adding 20 shrimp in one go though... leave the tigers on their own for a while to see how they get on :)

to that answer I now say has many you like! lol if you have reasonable filtration in the tank they will be fine. I always keep an air pump going in my shrimp tank and I don't dose any CO2 or carbon.

when will you have 20 then mate? obviously i dont want to put them in this minute, but shouldnt be longer than a couple of weeks.

AdAndrews said:
when will you have 20 then mate? obviously i dont want to put them in this minute, but shouldnt be longer than a couple of weeks.
I got rid of the 300+ I had before, and now starting a new colony with new redder shrimp to try and improve on quality. I only have about a 100 at the moment and not many adults, only about 20-25 adults so it will be a few months before I sell any. Every place I visit that sells red cherry's I always buy half a dozen to had to my colony to improve their genes and colour ;)

Well Tigers can't be kept with Crystals, so...
Sorry to raise an old thread, but can Crystals not be kept with Tiger shrimp purely because they will breed with each other?

If so I should I remove my single Black Bee and three Tiger Shrimp that are in with my juvenile CRS?

Cheers
Pix

Thanks LondonDragon, I will rehome this week!

I also see that you are often selling shrimp. Do you sell in cycles or do you normally have some for sale at all times??? I could be very interested if so.

Cheers
Pix

Pixels said:
Thanks LondonDragon, I will rehome this week!

I also see that you are often selling shrimp. Do you sell in cycles or do you normally have some for sale at all times??? I could be very interested if so.

Cheers
Pix

I just sold/exchanged about 200 shrimp over the last 4 weeks, so I now need to give it a little break for a couple of months, unless you don't mind smaller shrimp, then I should have some ;)

I will vouch for the quality of LD Shrimps. Lucky he doesnt sell crabs... else that would make the topic quite funny... :D

Yes they were fine. Thanks. I am going to rescape the nano. But the issue I am facing is how do I get the shrimps out?

I want to change the substrate so I can start doing a fissidens carpet as well. It doesnt do so well with the sand .

Hi LD,

How small is smaller? A lot of the ones I see in LFS are pretty small. I am bit concerned about receiving them and having to work.

What's your normal deal with numbers, cost and postage etc.

Cheers
Pix

Back