• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

How many T5 tubes.

alanchown

I have just this week set up a new tank. Its 200L 100x40x45 deep. Substrate is JBL aquasoil. Currently (as of yesterday) planted with various Echinodorus, vallis, crypts, alernanthera and hoping to form a carpert with echinodorus tennulus.
CO2 pressurised, but due to cost was aiming at not too high a dose.

It currently has 2 x 39W T5, but once I shift fish from old tank will have 2 more T5 39W at hand- should I use these or will it be too much with moderate CO2- it will give me around 3W per gallon. Was thinking along the lines of an hour on with 2 tubes, 6 or so with all for and an hour with 2 tubes- or is that too much faffing around?

Alan

I'd be inclined to begin with 5-6 hours lighting per day, make sure your CO2 level is there before the lights go on (you can shut down CO2 an hour before lights off).

Is tank 90% planted or 50% or less?
Do you have any fast growing stems?
Algae crew?
Tissue culture or emerse culture plants? (with TC I believe Tropica recommends a lower fertilization schedule over the first couple of weeks)

I'd likely begin with 2 xT5 lamps (look at the light distribution/shadows), if/when you introduce the additional lamps, begin with that mid-day "burst" (start with an hour rather than several)

If tank is plants only, you can push CO2 & lighting hard while getting plants established (but I'd still begin with a shorter lighting period than 8h) , if you're going to limit CO2, then I'd add in japonica shrimp & otos from the start, 25 - 50% daily water changes (for the first week or two, then gradually taper frequency) - I'm assuming you'll add some filter media from your other tank.

At the moment I'd say planted at around 50% but obviously hoping for a triffid like explosion! Currently lit and co2 for around 8 hrs. I'll cut that back a bit as suggested. Currently doing around 80% water change every other day but intend to taper that off over the next week.
Co2 is around 2bps at the moment. Plants only been in a day.
I haven't added any filter media from original tank as its still running. I have used some filter start from Interpret but gather that's of limited use.
I will need to start adding fish shortly as under pressure to move other aquarium out of way! I currently have no fast growing stems, may add a few bunches at weekend. The plants as far as I'm aware were grown emmersed (from aquatic gardens).

Last edited:
Unless you're concerned about fish digging up plants or have some concern about the large water changes, you can likely switch the fish over when it suits, just transfer your old filter media into the new filter (I use this opportunity to rinse debris that's collected in sponges etc - use tank water or treated tap) - if you pull some sponge or some small amount of media from your other tank, this will do more towards jumpstarting the new tank biological filtration than most commercial solutions.

Crypts & E tennelus can take a couple weeks to get going, so if they form a significant part of your plant volume, I'd add in some stem plants this weekend.

3 weeks since the plants have gone in and so far so good. Lights been on for 6 hrs per day, and I have added another 2 x 39w T5s for a one hour burst.
Started Ei from APF at half dose, and beginning to slowly increase the lighting hours.
Most plants are doing well, dwarf hairgrass and pygmy chain beginning to spread. Vallis however looks like crap, melting away. I do dose excel which I know can be an issue with Vallis.
CO2 seems to be around 10-20 ppm, not easy to tell with the Jbl checker. No great interest in putting in too much more CO2 as the refills costly, so hoping to get a month out of s 500g bottle.
Would having all 4 lights on for the full 8 hours be asking for trouble(200L)? no signs of algae so far.

Alan

Hi Alan,

Have you thought about using a fire extinguisher for CO2 rather than the JBL Bottles? I have a 2kg extinguisher that i brought from new for £29ish delivered and i pay £12 every 2 months to get it refilled!!! I do have two to ensure i don't run out whilst the other is getting refilled.

Also don't use Excel with Vallis, it just melts it!! The above should make it more affordable to inject more CO2!

Reactions: tim
I have thought about fire extinguishers, but as far as I've got! There is a place in Romford near me that has been mentioned in here, so next time I get a day off I may give them a try.

I use about 20gr CO2 a day on 180l tank with 70W T5 on 6hours with green heading yellow drop checker. Using 2Kg FE at £10 per refill, lasts 100days.

Back